No "Typical" Wing issues with the F6B
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No "Typical" Wing issues with the F6B

Having owned two Wings prior to purchasing the F6B, I cannot help but notice the lack of issues on this new model compared to the big Wing. To this point, 10,500 miles, I have not had a hint of the dreaded front end wobble. There has been no ghost shifts, shifting from 5th to 4th without driver interface. Front and rear tires still have many more miles of use before they are in need of replacing. I suppose the weight and balance could be the remedy of these typical Wing issues but I am extremely pleased no matter why the F6B is a better platform.

The only problem the new model seems to share with big brother is the cold engine hesitation. I can live with this by giving up the other issues I experienced on previous Wings.

The F6B continues to be the best motorcycle I have owned in my 50 years of riding. It is just a pure joy to ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I only have 5,000 on mine at the moment. However, in the short time I have owned it, it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    I only have 5,000 on mine at the moment. However, in the short time I have owned it, it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.
    Wow, these ringing endorsements are really encouraging. I'm really excited about this bike, looking forward to a test ride after my surgery.

Just like any new bike, once you add some items to make it fit you, custom seat, risers, windshield, etc. ... I have really enjoyed the bike. Last weekend I went with 11 other "wingers" on a 3 day 1,000 mile trip. The handling in the twisties was fantastic. I know the lack of tour pack only accounts for a minimal amount of weight difference from the "full wing". However, it makes the center of gravity even lower with the stock lower seating position. This one for me is a keeper!
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I'd say how my luck is going but I don't want to Jinx myself! { }

Wonder if the front end wobble on your Goldwing was a result of the front tire being out of balance, under inflated, or tire design. I had a similar issue with low speed wobble when my I ran Metzeler's. After switching back to Bridgestone's the wobble disappeared. A loose steering stem can also cause front end wobble. Shifting issues could have been related to shimming during assembly.
    Fulfilling Your Passion Since 2001.
    http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserCustomizing View Post
    Wonder if the front end wobble on your Goldwing was a result of the front tire being out of balance, under inflated, or tire design. I had a similar issue with low speed wobble when my I ran Metzeler's. After switching back to Bridgestone's the wobble disappeared. A loose steering stem can also cause front end wobble. Shifting issues could have been related to shimming during assembly.
    I had both issues on two different Wings, 2008 and 2012 models.

The front tire on the 2008 was a Dunlop. The '12 had the stock Bridgestone. I have always run 40# air pressure in my Wing front, and rear for that matter, tires.

There are also many threads about ghost shifting. Both seem to be common issues on full sized Wings. They certainly were issues on the two I owned and I am more than pleased those problems did not carry over to the F6B.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

40 lbs front pressure is high. Try 36 lbs.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    40 lbs front pressure is high. Try 36 lbs.
    If you run the recommended 36 psi in your owners manual, you will develop almost immediate "tire cupping"! What at first appears high, the 40 psi is the correct tire pressure for the 6. I have almost 16k miles on my original stone without any signs of cupping and expect to get approximately 20/21k miles wear from this tire. I run 40 psi. If you do a search of recommended front TP by 6 riders you'll find a vast majority have disregarded the "recommended 36 psi" and run 40psi

+1 40 front / 40 rear
    Ride it like you stole it