Why don't we riders argue and bicker about this?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't we riders argue and bicker about this?

Why don't we riders argue and bicker about this?

What kind of helmet do you wear?

I find this amusing, since we debate, argue and fight over which is the best oil, the kind of tire that spins on the back, the oil filter, or which windshield has the best protection----ACTUALLY, the list goes on and on. What I find strange is that, for those of us who wear a helmet, nobody seems to give a rats rectum if it is a $40 no name flat black, non DOT piece of junk you got at bike week or it is a $700 Shoei or Nolan or anything else. For that piece of equipment, everybody seems to respect the opinion of EVERYBODY. There are very few conversations with in depth discussions on WHY you use the helmet you do. Since everybody on this board is concerned about EVERYBODY'S health and well being why don't we talk about it more? Heck Fire--I remember a thread about what boots you wear.

I bring this up because I just discovered the value that I see in a good quality helmet. I have a few Scorpions and Bells and HJC, but I recent got a deal on a like new but older Shoei just because I wanted a modular for cold weather. (I know somebody is going to say helmets should be replaced every 5 years--so let me say it before you do) To say I am impressed with the quality is an understatement. Super light weight, solid and the most comfortable piece of plastic/composite to place over my noggin. I wish I had known this years ago.

So here is the question for those who choose or are required to wear a brain bucket--- What brand and model do you use and more importantly is the question, WHY? If the reason is price, then that is fine too. I want to know what you are thinking.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't have to wear one but I like to for protection and shade.

I have a Bell Pit Boss half helmet, a Bilt Roadster 3/4 helmet and a Scorpion Exo 500 full face helmet. Weather and mood are my deciding factors when I leave the house.

I like the Pit Boss for the adjustability and it has ear muffs for the cold. In an emergency the flip down eye protection is nice, but I usually wear sunglasses anyway.

I got the Bilt (Cycle Gear brand) 3/4 helmet for my daily commute. I like the way it looks and it offers more face protection for flying debris on the freeway. The mirror shield I added looks cool too.

I got the Scorpion Exo 500 because I thought it was a good bang for the buck helmet. It's great for cold/rainy weather, but I can't drink anything while riding so I don't wear it much. Oh, and it has skulls on it.

I would love to get a Shoei Neotec in the future.

Ive worn from the low end skid lid, to $700 Arai. Wear what you want. I am lucky enough to have the choice to not wear one at all also.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

The best helmet produced is the one allows the wearer to ride another day after surviving a crash. To serve a dual purpose I wear HI visibility yellow helmet. Just look how visible a plane black bike shows with a yellow helmet.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

I wear a Pit Boss half helmet also. Probably should wear a full face but I just can't seem to find a comfortable one.

Mandatory here. I have a Shoei Qwest full face for the cold and rain or long distance. Very comfortable . For most of my other riding I have a Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4 that's my favorite. Also a half helmet for the real hot days. Cost should not be an issue for an important piece of safety gear.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I wear full faced. I own 3 of them. Being a former sportbike rider for 15 years, i swear by the full faced having personally witnessed the protection during unfortunate incidents that i was a personal witness to. This was in Texas where a helmet was not even required. Having said that though, since this is my first cruiser style bike, i have to admit looking into 3/4 since this style of riding is completely different than the way i rode my Hayabusa and zx10r. Here in NC, helmets are required, so i go for max protection.

HJC CL-17 matte black. First full face in a long time as I had been wearing 3/4 and half helmets in my Harley days but a full face just seems right on the F6B.

Looked and tried on many helmets and settled on this one as the fit was great, the price was super and it has the Snell M2010 rating. Added a pin shield and it doesn't fog.

The review on webbikeworld was excellent and this just made the decision easier.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...-17/review.htm

I've got 3 helmets that I wear.
    For cold or inclement weather I've got a Schuberth C3 modular, in hi-viz. Superb quality, and for the price it better be.
    For Spring and Fall, or cool summer evenings, it's a Shoei JCruise 3/4 in gloss black. Excellent quality, just a small notch behind the Schuberth.
    For warm weather it's a Scorpion EXO-110 half helmet in white. Acceptable quality, nice and light, and still DOT approved.

As an aside, last summer a few of us rode down into N. Dakota, which has no helmet law. At the US/Canada border, we decided to ride helmetless, to see how it felt. We got off at the first interchange, only 1 mile from the border, and donned our helmets. Collectively, we felt naked and vulnerable.

Attachment 10295

My state doesn't require a helmet but I always wear one. This is from an accident I had in September. My left knee is still recovering. My F6B has been repaired and ready to roll when the knee is better.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.