For you guys that ride the wife/galpal-- fess up! I won't tell her! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For you guys that ride the wife/galpal-- fess up! I won't tell her!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_A View Post
    I saw the same weight limit and did a bit of research. The tires fitted have a load rating of 74 (on the rear) which is 827 lbs. The 09 Goldwing I owned had a rear tire load rating of 80 (992 lbs). I suspect that Honda fitted some "better handling" tires on the F6B at the expense of capacity. Run the engineering spec through the legal department and apply a conservative margin and you end up with a maximum payload less than a Honda Rebel. IMO, it's overly conservative since the chassis is fully proven to run at much higher weights. When I burn off the OE tires, I'll replace them with something that has a higher load rating, just on general principal, and carry on. Tire pressures are critical - so check often. Real world experience from numerous Glowing's indicates that in actual practice you will be fine. FWIW, the average weight that engineers use in calculating passenger capacity of vehicles used to be some ridiculously low figure like 185 lbs each; and some aircraft engineers used 150 lbs each! I suspect Honda is also using a "low average" passenger weight. A Mazda Miata I had also stated some ridiculously low max total passenger/cargo weight like 380! Kudus' for reading the manual, though....
    BINGO!

Never thought about that.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is why many went to the CT on the rear or both front and rear...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I weigh about 175 and mostly ride alone, but none of my Galpals weigh anywhere near me so I won't be hitting the weight limit anytime soon unless I pick up tons of fun at the local watering hole.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I weigh about 175 and mostly ride alone, but none of my Galpals weigh anywhere near me so I won't be hitting the weight limit anytime soon unless I pick up tons of fun at the local watering hole.
    Yeah there was a day when I weighted 175 too!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Me too! It was the 7th grade.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Me too! It was the 7th grade.
    +1

175-LOL My left side is 175I go about 370 and have no problem on my F6B.I ride alone as my wife does not want to ride with me anymore.Thats why I went with the F6B and not anymore full dress Wings.Bike handles great with my big load on her and so far looks like I will get 12-13K on the rear tire-front should see 20K.I run 40/40 in the tires and have a Superbrace up front which did help with the handling.Back in the day on our 1500 Wing I will not tell you the loads we ran as the wife and me were a lot of lbs together.I did pull a Bushtec trailer so we would not load up the bike with luggage.Many miles that way with no problem.These bikes will handle more lbs then Honda states are safe IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    Lawyers have to be conservative for Honda CYA issues...

I think they expect you to exceed the limit. But if you crash and try to sue AHMC claiming the bike became 'unstable' they can point to that sticker and tell you to 'stick' it.
    Very funny "sticking" point

I'm 210, my wife 105, combined for 315, my bike flies with both of us on!

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    My profession requires me to stay in shape. I'm sure you can relate being former military. I can retire next year so am not exactly a spring chicken.