Original tires - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Original tires

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    As I understand it, those model numbers are specific to these "designed for Gold Wing" tires by Bridgestone. G709 for the front and G704 for the rear.

Yes, I'm currently at 18,287 miles on the original skins. I'm just shy of the wear bars so I've got a new set coming. My pressures are generally 38 front and 40 rear. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider, but I'd rather lead than follow the traffic, if you know what I mean. And the majority of my riding is solo on the interstates.

I've been happy with the performance and longevity of the Bridgestones.

Oh, and this is in Phoenix, AZ... home of those stupid high summer temps!
    I just don't know why you'd have such a dramatically different tread life experience. What do you weigh ,100 lbs or something? Every chance I get, I ride fairly aggressive, or at least spirited , in the corners. I don't do much interstate riding as I find that extremely boring. I imagine I'll need brake pads sooner than most as I do come into corners hard and exit them pretty hard as well. But man, 10,000 miles different. Now I'm not sure my tires look like the above just quite yet, but to me they look like I should be ordering tires very soon.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Just 130 miles

I am a firm believer in the fact that these companies test tire and test them hard for their consumer use. Usually the OEM tires on the new bike you buy are there for a reason. The company has found that they work well on that model. I was impress coming home with the new F6B yesterday as I took a curvy road I had run with my previous Suzuki M109R Boulevard. The Suzuki always did corners well but the 6 was about 10 miles per hour faster going thru the same curves I had run many times before. It was going thru them so smooth I didn't realize how much speed I was carrying until I looked at the speedo and was thoroughly impressed. These stones work on this bike. No doubt in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I am a firm believer in the fact that these companies test tire and test them hard for their consumer use. Usually the OEM tires on the new bike you buy are there for a reason. The company has found that they work well on that model. I was impress coming home with the new F6B yesterday as I took a curvy road I had run with my previous Suzuki M109R Boulevard. The Suzuki always did corners well but the 6 was about 10 miles per hour faster going thru the same curves I had run many times before. It was going thru them so smooth I didn't realize how much speed I was carrying until I looked at the speedo and was thoroughly impressed. These stones work on this bike. No doubt in my mind.
    If I'm correct, that tailing 240 wide tire on your M109R has a slight negative effect on cornering! A narrow front, wide rear tire combination is great for conversation and appearance but degrades handling as the tires track differently IMHO. Not saying the M109R was a "slouch" in handling but compared to the 6 the agility of the two bikes is like night and day

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I just don't know why you'd have such a dramatically different tread life experience. What do you weigh ,100 lbs or something? Every chance I get, I ride fairly aggressive, or at least spirited , in the corners. I don't do much interstate riding as I find that extremely boring. I imagine I'll need brake pads sooner than most as I do come into corners hard and exit them pretty hard as well. But man, 10,000 miles different. Now I'm not sure my tires look like the above just quite yet, but to me they look like I should be ordering tires very soon.
    In fairness to the previous post...on my last bike I always did better mileage on my tires than most others with the same bike. I got accused of grandma riding, but I know for a fact I rode pretty decently on cornering and whatever. I think it's like brakes on a car. Some people get tons of miles, other wipe them out quick. It's simply the way each person rides or drives and we're all different. I had an M109 and I got 10,000 out of my rears and more from the fronts. Some guys only got 4,000 from the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Second set 19,791 miles: I am 200 lbs and seldom carry a payload. I buy tires with a very current date code or at least take note of it. I put miles on pretty fast (2400/month). I check my tire pressure every 2 weeks and run 40/40 (air). 95% of my driving is freeway in the FL heat at 80-85 mph. I can't find any curves.

First set 14,875 (but they had quite a bit of tread left): In contrast I moved from the Carolina's and could find curves there. Ran about 1000 miles/month with 75% of my driving in town at 45 mph, 25% spirited riding. Tire pressure 40/40 (nitrogen).

Two sets of OE tires with great results. Two different environments and riding styles. (nitrogen once/air once) both 40/40.

My Grandma wears out tires quicker than your Grandma does.

Much has to do with proper inflation---and keeping it that way. I am sure. Also some tires have a softer compound. I read a few years back that ALL NEW vehicles come with a very soft compound for a smooth ride. The soft ride sells you and since it is not a warranty item they don't care how quick they wear out.

My new VTX 1800 would not pass inspection at 4,200 miles with the OEM Dunlops--cupped and cracks between the tread and they sat on the showroom floor 3 years. Replaced them with Metzler 880's and they still looked good at 10,000. Same bike, same rider, same roads. You tell me.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm pretty festidious about checking pressures.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

The two riders in this thread who are getting over 18,000 miles both state a high percentage of highway use... is this the common denominator?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    The two riders in this thread who are getting over 18,000 miles both state a high percentage of highway use... is this the common denominator?
    Yeah, this may be a major factor.

The interstate roads here in AZ are not poorly surfaced, but they aren't all concrete slabs, either. I would say where I ride most are fairly average 2-lane road surfaces of chip-seal, concrete and asphalt. The urban streets aren't great, with plenty of chip-sealed surfaces roughed by heavy truck and traffic use also.

I've ridden plenty of miles on 2 lane state roads up in the high country around the state, with plenty of altitude and attitude changes (curvy bits).

So, I have to say I ride a healthy mix of road surfaces, most of it being outside the city on interstates and state roads. This also reduces the stop and go that will wear the skins.

And FYI, I carry about 190 lbs on a 5'9" frame.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"