Electric Harley - What the - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric Harley - What the

I think EVs are the future. Not due to an increase in tree hugging, it's because oil is getting harder and harder to come by. It is a finite resource. One of my favorite ideas was making battery stations just like gas stations. Running low in electrons? Pull into the station and get a battery swap. Takes about the same amount of time as it does to fill up with gas and when it gets close to the same cost I think it will take off. What I'm hearing a lot of people say about EVs today sounds a lot like what people were saying about horseless carriages some years ago.

What amazes me is that Harley has this thing out on the road. Not a market for expensive electric bikes yet? Not a market for Honda's expensive robots yet either, but Honda did it anyways. Not a market for Honda's little electric people movers yet either, but again, Honda did it anyways.

My hat's off to Honda for doing the robot/mover/jet thing. My hat's off to Harley for finally, finally doing something way different.

Possible EV's are the way of the future, but Harley only did this to get the rest of the line up numbers on fuel economy down across the whole group to satisfy the EPA and govt. In my opinion. Fiat did the exact same thing and begged the public not to buy one because they are losing their asses on each one sold. The CEO said he would not sell one unit more then they had to.

Funny how EV's are supposed to be the "wave of the future". Guess where the power to charge batteries comes from? Are we gonna cover the planet in windmills and solar panels? Guess what, it's takes a hell of a lot of oil to manufacture, build, transport and maintain that stuff. And batteries. And EV's.

We have the largest nuclear power plant in America here in AZ but when is the last time we built a new one?

Where's all this magical energy going to come from?

Quote Originally Posted by decubitus View Post
    I think EVs are the future. Not due to an increase in tree hugging, it's because oil is getting harder and harder to come by.
    Huh?

Oil is very abundant and a very lucrative business for the world economy. Choking it out like coal will only hurt our country as well as the world economy.
    If people want electric cars and bikes that's great but in a free country, free choices is what made it great.
    Seems I remember when solar panels were said to be the future too, think that was in the late 80's. Time will time.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    Possible EV's are the way of the future, but Harley only did this to get the rest of the line up numbers on fuel economy down across the whole group to satisfy the EPA and govt. In my opinion. Fiat did the exact same thing and begged the public not to buy one because they are losing their asses on each one sold. The CEO said he would not sell one unit more then they had to.
    Exactly , and as the government puts it's boot on the necks of businesses with stifling regulations they will find a way to get around it, just like the CEO of Fiat is doing. Same thing has happened to HD by choosing to build their Bolt copy in India.

Would any of you be interested in getting yourself an electric F6B if it became available?

When electric vehicles perform better and cost less than petro powered they will dominate. I will wait and hope the next batch of politicians loosen the reins on American energy production and allow the free market to determine when alternative energy makes sense.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    I think the operative words are "work in progress".
    Agree.

Never meant for the masses. More potential as P.R. / "Come see the Wire, ride off on StreetGlide" than anything more.

Lotsa folks in several forums say they'd like to ride one,,,, Very few are saying they would actually buy one,,,

Like I say,,, Come see the wire,,,,,

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WingStuff.com View Post
    Would any of you be interested in getting yourself an electric F6B if it became available?
    Nope. I need a bike that can run all day w/o having to stop and sit for hours to recharge.

Yes...with the following caveats, it must have a 200 mile range between 2 hr charges and be able to maintain triple digit speeds, all while hauling my fat a$$ around.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I spend money on after market exhaust systems just to hear the IC engine better. What do you think ?
    Ken (Hornblower)