Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    To be honest, I've had the db, dxi, MM and liked them all. The ones I liked best, which the GTO's are replacing, are the DXI 651's. Nothing wrong with any. These JBL GTO 638 seem to have better bass and mids. Volume is the same, they just have a rich, fuller sound. If that makes sense.
    My neighbors say it does.

Jim
    Jim, To clarify why do you like the DXI 651's best (or are they now 2nd best to the GTO 638) ?

TIA

Had to get my head around this Ohm's value. The below is stolen from the web:

Why are ohms important?

Two reasons:
    (1) If you connect your amplifier to the wrong speaker impedance, you risk damaging the amp. In tube amps, too high a load impedance (or a disconnected load) can result in damage to the output tubes or output transformer, while in solid state amps, if the speaker impedance is too low, the amplifier will tend to overheat and more power is used up in the amplifier than is delivered to the speaker. Too many speakers on a solid state amp can burn up the power output section.

(2) The amplifier will deliver maximum power (volume) to the speaker when the speaker impedance matches (is equal to) the internal impedance (called the OUTPUT IMPEDANCE) of the amplifier. Too low an impedance will result in weak output and poor tone. If the speaker impedance is higher than that of the amplifier, its power output will again be less than it is capable of.

So does our stoclk OEM amplifier have a dynamic output range from 2-4 ohms? Is that even possible?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537