Second bike...? Thoughts? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second bike...? Thoughts?

Before i bought the f6b i was very interested trading my 2005 white and silver victory vegas with stage one pipes in on an indian chieftain. Fortunately i could not make a decent deal and bought the f6b. I ended keeping the victory and $6000 . I enjoy riding the f6b on longer rides. The victory has 41000 miles on it and i run it on shorter trips . Its nice to hear the thump of the v twin once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Before i bought the f6b i was very interested trading my 2005 white and silver victory vegas with stage one pipes in on an indian chieftain. Fortunately i could not make a decent deal and bought the f6b. I ended keeping the victory and $6000 . I enjoy riding the f6b on longer rides. The victory has 41000 miles on it and i run it on shorter trips . Its nice to hear the thump of the v twin once in a while.
    That's how I felt with my VStar, which, strangely enough, also had 41,000 miles on it. I sold it for $2500. I really thought about keeping it, as mentioned, but I had a tuition bill to pay and I really can't justify having a second bike with three snowmobiles, boat, and a camp also.

Someday I may consider it, though. I certainly put on enough miles each year (6-7,000) to make a case for it in the future.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I test rode the FJ-09 last week and it was very nice. I am waiting for the FZ-10 it should have similar ergonomics but far more power. The new FZ-10 looks to be a game changer for the naked / standard / light sport touring bikes.

It looks to be a better R1!!! The power and handling of the latest R1 and comfort of the FZ1!!!

I can't wait to get the opportunity to test ride the FZ-10. (I don't know if I will ever get to buy one)

A bike like these could never replace the F6B but they would be fun as a second bike to thrash occasionally.
    Steve

I guess it is time for me to jump in here and stir up some crap!!!!

My number 1 bike is the B. My number 2 bike is the "anti-B"

The B is the keeper bike but the wife has given me permission to use a chunk of money and "flip" bikes as a side job. If I break even (and throw her a few hundred bucks so she thinks I am actually making money, then my payment in the deal is that I get another scoot to enjoy and ride for a while) I have made a few bucks on a Valkyrie and VRod.

At the moment, the "anti B" is a 2006 Harley Street Bob. It is everything the F6B is NOT. It is small---loud--mini apes give it the outlaw appeal---it is loud---very uncomfortable except for short rides--very loud---and is not appealing for a passenger at all---and finally it is very loud. It is also very fun!!!!! But, as I said, it is also not a keeper. But I do love it. Maybe a better phrase is that I lust it, instead---for short periods at a time.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old Ryder,

That is a great way to get a extra bike in the garage.

I have the F6B and a 1981 C750K which I bought new in 1982. I have owned it way to long to get rid of it now. We all know the F6B is going no where (I love the bike) But I do crave another bike to play with.

I came up with something similar I was going to tell my wife I am going to start a side business restoring bikes. Then like you I will get to play with a new toy every now and then. Who knows maybe we will get lucky and make some money doing this.
    Steve

My second bike is an 01 Yamaha Roadstar 1600. I absolutely love it for short trips and around the town stuff. I feel safer around town on it because its pretty loud and throaty. People can see and hear me going down the road for sure.

As for the choices you have listed, I think I would go with the vstar 1300 if I was looking for that around the town bike. If your looking for something that's a little faster and to take you out of the cruiser range, I would seriously take a look at the Kawasaki Versys or what I really like is the Yamaha FJ-09. Has some wind protection but a really fun, light weight, and versatile bike.

For me, I don't need to go as fast as possible anymore (been there done that with many bikes.... zx14, R1, ZX10, GSXR1000, etc) so I really enjoy the night and day difference between my loud old school bad a$$ Vtwin Roadstar VS my modern quiet and well engineered F6B

My second bike if I had unlimited cash would be a Motus MST-R

The first bike (now 2nd?) is a Shadow Aero 750. I kept it when I got the F6 for local commuter riding, with the F6 being for longer rides and weekend riding. They do each have a different feel to them - I love the variety.

I can't help - I just like the looks of cruisers. A cheap second bike is a VStar 1300, but I would prefer a Victory Cross Country or CC Tour at this time (subject to change 100 times in the next couple of years). They are just good looking machines.

I didn't like my test ride last fall, but I wonder if I should've given it more of a chance. The vibration I felt through the seat when I first accelerated (plus the disappointing power down low, a shock for a Vtwin) was an immediate turn off. Build quality turned me off too.

Yet, I love the way they look and few or no one that has owned one has a bad word to say...
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I can't help - I just like the looks of cruisers. A cheap second bike is a VStar 1300, but I would prefer a Victory Cross Country or CC Tour at this time (subject to change 100 times in the next couple of years). They are just good looking machines.

I didn't like my test ride last fall, but I wonder if I should've given it more of a chance. The vibration I felt through the seat when I first accelerated (plus the disappointing power down low, a shock for a Vtwin) was an immediate turn off. Build quality turned me off too.

Yet, I love the way they look and few or no one that has owned one has a bad word to say...
    Having owned a few Victory's and ridden the ones your talking about, I have never noticed any vibration through the seat or any lack of power..My Victory Vision had no such issues and could easily "blow away" most HD's and other V-twins...????...Maybe you had a bad bike or were looking for something that was not there....Ride safe