New Goldwing Predictions
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Goldwing Predictions

New Goldwing Predictions

I have been thinking about this lately and I am making some speculations as to what the new Goldwing will be like. Please join in the conversation!

DCT? Honda has spent a lot of money developing this. Do you think that the next gen Goldwing will have a DCT transmission with manual available?

Engine size? Is 2000cc AND better fuel economy a possibility?

Those two are my big questions. Any other speculation out there?
    Doc

1998 Suzuki GS500E (Sold)
    2001 Yamaha VS250 Virago (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki GSX1300BK B-King (Sold)
    2013 Honda GL1800BD F6B (Sold)
    2013 Honda CB500F
    2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
    2016 Honda GL1800

It is only one prediction - it will be more expensive . Everything else is a mystery .

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    It is only one prediction - it will be more expensive . Everything else is a mystery .
    +1

You can wish, but based on no spy shots, leaked info, or anything else, there really is no speculation.

What would I want?
    A motorcycle would be no fun without a manual trans. For an F6B, give me a 6 speed, digital gear indicator, a modernized dash with fuel consumption, range to empty, selectable LCD gauges, electric reverse, better front springs and anti-dive, no linked brakes, ABS standard for everybody, a full 2L engine, simpler audio system, and a keyless fob for starting the bike and opening the saddlebag doors remotely.

For a redesigned GL1800, who cares.

shooter
    I think you may see some form of CVT trans available. It will be an option. If its good it will sell. Not for me but non purists will love it. I think engine size will remain the same. It would be easy to increase efficiency and deliver 10 more HP and TQ. That keeps them ahead of the pack.

Go Big or Go Home.... Honda WILL bring out bigger motor...it's in their genes...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Several have posted about bigger motors but I say, maybe so and maybe not. Bigger motors usually means more weight so if you're into handling performance, that can be a disadvantage. Adding to that, motors these days don't have to be large to make power. After all, I know guys making 500 hp with 2L engines. Frankly, I don't see needing more than 150 hp on a bike the size and weight of our B's and that could be done without increasing the displacement. What's nice about the current engine is the torque. Like some of you, I've had higher hp bikes but wound up shifting a lot. And speaking of shifting...since I started driving a car with DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and dual clutch with shifting paddles, I'm thinking this would be pretty cool for my dream future bike. Believe me, DSG with dual clutches can change gears faster, smoother, and better than you can manually. All that would be at your fingertips . Cool tech like this comes at a price but, on the bright side, companies seem to be figuring out how to offer these features at increasingly temping prices. Won't it be interesting to see what kind of bikes we'll be riding 10 years from now?
    Ken (Hornblower)

Someday soon, the Wing will have an Electric motor, or at least a hybrid.

I think the power-to-weight ratio on the Wing can support it.

It will be a brilliant showcase for Honda Automotive Electric technology.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Several have posted about bigger motors but I say, maybe so and maybe not. Bigger motors usually means more weight so if you're into handling performance, that can be a disadvantage. Adding to that, motors these days don't have to be large to make power. After all, I know guys making 500 hp with 2L engines. Frankly, I don't see needing more than 150 hp on a bike the size and weight of our B's and that could be done without increasing the displacement. What's nice about the current engine is the torque. Like some of you, I've had higher hp bikes but wound up shifting a lot. And speaking of shifting...since I started driving a car with DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and dual clutch with shifting paddles, I'm thinking this would be pretty cool for my dream future bike. Believe me, DSG with dual clutches can change gears faster, smoother, and better than you can manually. All that would be at your fingertips . Cool tech like this comes at a price but, on the bright side, companies seem to be figuring out how to offer these features at increasingly temping prices. Won't it be interesting to see what kind of bikes we'll be riding 10 years from now?
    You know Ken you are right about the torque. Unless you go through a town or come to a complete stop this thing doesn't have to be shifted much. Down to 25 mph roll on the throttle and it picks it right up. That's why I don't understand guys wanting a 6 speed. Just more shifting. Right now 5th is good from 25 to 125. That's what you call a broad powerband.

I'm one that doesn't really feel the need for 6 speeds. I'm sure I'd appreciate it if it were so. I still have the stock exhaust and I don't hear the bike going down the interstate. I don't see the need for more displacement either. More power sure, but as already stated, we don't need more displacement to get more power. Variable valve timing would seem to be a cool feature to add.

F8B