How of you guys have made the key knobs - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How of you guys have made the key knobs

Plastic
    I will have them with me when we meet up Saturday Greg.
    You can then see how I did it if you can wait until then.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Does the JB Weld work better than the monkey glue, also which one of the JB products are you using. My radio knobs should be here today.
    I can't stand gorilla glue
    This is what I have always used

https://www.grainger.com/content/catoffer?offerId=2T7AB

Gorilla Glue can be messy.

From my 20 years of building and flying model RC planes, I got quite an education in glue, wood, small engines and batteries. Gorilla glue should have a wet surface to work properly and it will expand during the curing process and if it spills over it is very hard to remove. JB Weld is great for this type project as is other general epoxys you can get at the hardware store. You can also get a firmer putty type epoxy that both parts are made together and you just break it apart or pinch off a portion and roll it around in your hands until it mixes. Then stuff it in the hole and press the key part in. Much less messy. That is what I used for the cubby and tank key knobs. I used JB for the saddlebag since the cabinet knob was metal.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I made 2 key knobs using JB Weld as Flat6bagger Doug suggested one came out about a 1/16" to long which I can deal with. The 2nd one came out a 1/16" to short that will not work in the key slot. With me using JB Weld I was able to use my Dremel and a small straight bit and ground a slot on each side of the key to loosen the key in the epoxy. I then pulled the key up a 1/16" and re epoxied it and it is solid as hell and I didn't waste a knob. Thanks Doug.

I just reread my note above, and I must have suffered a brain fart while typing (an all too frequent occurrence as I get older). I wrote that I bought my keys at Radio Shack. Not true. I got them at Home Depot. I dunno where that Radio Shack popped out from, but it definitely was incorrect. Sorry.

It oughta be a crime to have this much fun on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I just reread my note above, and I must have suffered a brain fart while typing (an all too frequent occurrence as I get older). I wrote that I bought my keys at Radio Shack. Not true. I got them at Home Depot. I dunno where that Radio Shack popped out from, but it definitely was incorrect. Sorry.
    Maybe you were thinking of the fact that many of us have bought Radio Shack knobs. I used 2 that were about an inch in dia and one smaller one for the bag release.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    From my 20 years of building and flying model RC planes, I got quite an education in glue, wood, small engines and batteries. Gorilla glue should have a wet surface to work properly and it will expand during the curing process and if it spills over it is very hard to remove. JB Weld is great for this type project as is other general epoxys you can get at the hardware store. You can also get a firmer putty type epoxy that both parts are made together and you just break it apart or pinch off a portion and roll it around in your hands until it mixes. Then stuff it in the hole and press the key part in. Much less messy. That is what I used for the cubby and tank key knobs. I used JB for the saddlebag since the cabinet knob was metal.

Yes! I used it a couple of times before I read the direction...a little drop will do ya!!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Theft

I know I'm a little slow on the uptake but... Let's say you are out for a ride and stop - say at a restaurant. Couldn't someone remove one of your key knobs and use it in the ignition and simply ride off with your bike??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

73 Yamaha RD350
    74 Suzuki GT750
    75 Kawasaki 500
    75 Honda GL1000
    95 Honda GL1500 Interstate
    13 Honda GL1800 F6B - Red Standard

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeken47 View Post
    I know I'm a little slow on the uptake but... Let's say you are out for a ride and stop - say at a restaurant. Couldn't someone remove one of your key knobs and use it in the ignition and simply ride off with your bike??
    not if ya do it right as the ign key is a tad longer so the home made trunk key won't work in the ign.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeken47 View Post
    I have reservations for you at the Holiday Inn Express down the street from BIGLRY.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver