From the seat of the F6B...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From the seat of the F6B...

From the seat of the F6B...

Some random musings:

1. I am a perpetual motorcycle shopper. I can't tell you the number of bikes I have researched as if I was going to buy one of them. I always come back to two: Star Venture and new Gold Wing with air bag and auto. Love the storage on the Yammi, linked brakes with ABS, the infotainment system, foot space. Don't like the air-cooled twin, engine heat and wide tank. Love the six on the GW, the handling, power, and the auto tranny and airbag as well. Do not like the lack of storage and the issues with the GPS.

I also have eyeballed a Triumph dual sport (road version...XRT) and a Yammi Super Tenere or Tracer 900.

Then, the same thing happens ... I go out for a ride on my seemingly outdated 2013 F6B with none of the above technology and few of the other attributes, yet it is simple and cheap to maintain, bulletproof reliable, smooth, quiet and handles like a dream. Plus, I have and will continue to add accessories.

It is great to not be in hurry to get my next bike.

2. I wonder which is safer - a bike with balanced handling that inspires confidence while riding, or one that has linked brakes, ABS, and other safety features. Does the capability of the bike/rider trump those safety features?

3. Miller Lite and PBR used to be fine with me. Now, only microbrew IPAs taste good.
    Last edited by VStarRider; 08-13-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I have done plenty of research on those same 2 bikes. I usually end up leaning to the 18 wing due to Honda’s ease of maintenance and cost to maintain. But I’m a big guy and love the huge, mean look of the new yammy. I always told myself I would not trade in the F6B until I have put 100k on the odo. Plenty of time to watch watch the market and enjoy my F6B as it’s the best bike I’ve ever owned.

You could not give me that air cool twin Yamaha. The 2016 F6B is easily the best big bike I have rode or owed, but with that said getting the f6b packed today for trip From Nashville Tn to Cortez I took A 130 mile ride on my Suzuki 650 V-Storm. Its very lite easy to ride stop, turn around in mid road, took a few gravel roads and just all round fun bike SO the fact is everyone needs at least Two motorcycles!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    You could not give me that air cool twin Yamaha. The 2016 F6B is easily the best big bike I have rode or owed, but with that said getting the f6b packed today for trip From Nashville Tn to Cortez I took A 130 mile ride on my Suzuki 650 V-Storm. Its very lite easy to ride stop, turn around in mid road, took a few gravel roads and just all round fun bike SO the fact is everyone needs at least Two motorcycles!!
    is 4 too many.
    There all Honda’s.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Does the changes to the engine in the new Wing bother anyone. I mentioned this already Im gun shy of the new one until theres some proof out there. Ive been burned before by buying first year model with as many changes as they have made.
    A man can never have to much red wine or to many good books or to much ammunition. Rudyard Kipling

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast.

Have you ever sat and thought...... Damn Ive been thru a lot of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl1952 View Post
    Does the changes to the engine in the new Wing bother anyone. I mentioned this already Im gun shy of the new one until theres some proof out there. Ive been burned before by buying first year model with as many changes as they have made.
    I don't think I would worry too much about the new engine. Its been in testing for a few years. And the auto tranny seem to be da thing to come.
    I can see a lot of auto's in the future.
    The next thing to come should be a hover bike.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl1952 View Post
    I wouldn't say "bother", BigAl, but I definitely have a watchful eye. I brought that up in a poorman's review I wrote about my test ride of one. Not only does it have aluminum cyclinder sleeves, but the DCT allows people with almost zero rider skill to hotrod the hell out of the engine. That combination has me curious as to whether or not longevity will be affected on a large enough scale to notice, but only time will tell. However, it is one sweet ride.

That being said, and along with you VStarRider, I too am a perpetual motorcycle shopper. I want to ride one of the new Yamaha's, even though I'm highly annoyed with the heat that comes off of Vtwins(I'm in San Antonio). But I absolutely love my B. Every time I ride it I just think, damn, what a motorcycle. And there are still plenty of mods I haven't done that are enticing to me. So I feel very lucky for the miles behind and the ones ahead.

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 08-13-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Oh yes on #3...cannot drink garage beer anymore...must be good craft beer. Call me a beer snob, i do not care.

IPA not so much, porter's and stout's

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Some random musings:

1. I am a perpetual motorcycle shopper. I can't tell you the number of bikes I have researched as if I was going to buy one of them. I always come back to two: Star Venture and new Gold Wing with air bag and auto. Love the storage on the Yammi, linked brakes with ABS, the infotainment system, foot space. Don't like the air-cooled twin, engine heat and wide tank. Love the six on the GW, the handling, power, and the auto tranny and airbag as well. Do not like the lack of storage and the issues with the GPS.

I also have eyeballed a Triumph dual sport (road version...XRT) and a Yammi Super Tenere or Tracer 900.

Then, the same thing happens ... I go out for a ride on my seemingly outdated 2013 F6B with none of the above technology and few of the other attributes, yet it is simple and cheap to maintain, bulletproof reliable, smooth, quiet and handles like a dream. Plus, I have and will continue to add accessories.

It is great to not be in hurry to get my next bike.

2. I wonder which is safer - a bike with balanced handling that inspires confidence while riding, or one that has linked brakes, ABS, and other safety features. Does the capability of the bike/rider trump those safety features?

3. Miller Lite and PBR used to be fine with me. Now, only microbrew IPAs taste good.
    Yes, Sweet Georgia inspires this kind of love in me. So does Terrapin Hopsecutioner.

The Right Number

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    is 4 too many.
    There all Honda’s.
    A salesman once told me the right number of motorcycles to own is...

ONE MORE!