2+1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2+1

2+1

There's a recent thread on unexpected surprises regarding accessories for the F6B.

With so many new owners active on the forum (including me) and a mix of veteran owners with 40k+ miles on them, I thought I was ask:

What are two things that surprised about the F6B itself as a new owner, or as a veteran owner? These can be positive, neutral or negative.

What is one thing that has disappointed you?

I'll go first.

Surprises:

1.) The power. Not being a priority, I did not carefully research engine power, acceleration, 1/4 mile times, etc. I knew the 6 had good power, but that is all I knew. It's lightning quick acceleration and seemingly unlimited torque at all RPMs still continues to surprise me even after logging 700+ late season miles…

2.) The handling. This bike handles great. Shockingly nimble at low speeds, eats up the curves at higher speeds. Handles with ease, despite its wheelbase and weight.

Disappointment:

1.) The notchy/balky shifting. My old VStar shifted like butter. I expected any Japanese bike to shift with precision. Not the F6B. Very stiff, notchy, and occasionally does not engage in 4th and 5th. I know this is not a foreign topic on this forum on the '13 models.

My 2015 had a loud clunk between first and second for about the first 4500 miles. It is much smoother now. I have also heard switching to a synthetic after the motor is broke in helps. I have not done this yet but think I will on my next oil change.
    The most important things in life aren't things.
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    There's a recent thread on unexpected surprises regarding accessories for the F6B.

With so many new owners active on the forum (including me) and a mix of veteran owners with 40k+ miles on them, I thought I was ask:

What are two things that surprised about the F6B itself as a new owner, or as a veteran owner? These can be positive, neutral or negative.

What is one thing that has disappointed you?

I'll go first.

Surprises:

1.) The power. Not being a priority, I did not carefully research engine power, acceleration, 1/4 mile times, etc. I knew the 6 had good power, but that is all I knew. It's lightning quick acceleration and seemingly unlimited torque at all RPMs still continues to surprise me even after logging 700+ late season miles…

2.) The handling. This bike handles great. Shockingly nimble at low speeds, eats up the curves at higher speeds. Handles with ease, despite its wheelbase and weight.

Disappointment:

1.) The notchy/balky shifting. My old VStar shifted like butter. I expected any Japanese bike to shift with precision. Not the F6B. Very stiff, notchy, and occasionally does not engage in 4th and 5th. I know this is not a foreign topic on this forum on the '13 models.
    Either you are expecting some kind of miracle, or just don't shift the bike at the right time/speeds...I have ridden many Jap bikes over the years and my F6B shifts just as good if not better than most...Synthetic oil helps somewhat, but mine shifts just fine...And if I get an occasional clunk, so what....the trans, for the more part is "bullet proof"...Try shifting above 3000 rpm, big difference, and don't baby the shifter, click it into gears like you mean it....Ride safe

shooter
    Opas has it right on. The biggest mistake riders make is taking the shift for granted. No need to short shift , run the rpms up and shift it like you mean it. Mine is butter smooth.

I only have two days riding on mine and I think the shifting is awesome compared to my M109. The best description I tell people is it now clicks instead of clunks.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Yep opas, you are right. Shooter started me on that change in paradigm and it is like being born again. OK maybe not that extreme, but it is such a smoother way to shift. Don't tell shooter he helped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by okiedoc View Post
    My 2015 had a loud clunk between first and second for about the first 4500 miles. It is much smoother now. I have also heard switching to a synthetic after the motor is broke in helps. I have not done this yet but think I will on my next oil change.
    There is an additive that might help improve clunky shifting...called ZDD Plus...you can buy it on Amazon and a number of other places. Check out the main website at www.zddplus.com for more product information.

I learned about this product from Fred Harmon over on the GL1800riders forum. He is a highly-regarded GL1800 technician and all-around good guy. He researched this product a couple of years ago and recommended it to improve shift smoothness. I add one 4 oz. bottle every time I change oil. You can buy a package of five bottles for around $40 at Amazon.com.

Does it work? Well, I cannot make any grandiose claims that it will make your shifting butter-smooth...a lot of that depends on the operator...but I have been using this product for 2-3 years now and "feel" that my shifting is smoother and that I am doing something that will prolong the life of my motor and transmission. I may be wrong, too, but at least it hasn't made things any worse!

If you have clunky shifting, you might want to at least research this a little...
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    There is an additive that might help improve clunky shifting...called ZDD Plus...you can buy it on Amazon and a number of other places. Check out the main website at www.zddplus.com for more product information.

I learned about this product from Fred Harmon over on the GL1800riders forum. He is a highly-regarded GL1800 technician and all-around good guy. He researched this product a couple of years ago and recommended it to improve shift smoothness. I add one 4 oz. bottle every time I change oil. You can buy a package of five bottles for around $40 at Amazon.com.

Does it work? Well, I cannot make any grandiose claims that it will make your shifting butter-smooth...a lot of that depends on the operator...but I have been using this product for 2-3 years now and "feel" that my shifting is smoother and that I am doing something that will prolong the life of my motor and transmission. I may be wrong, too, but at least it hasn't made things any worse!

If you have clunky shifting, you might want to at least research this a little...
    Funny, I brought this product up and have used it every other oil change and was called very ugly names for using it...lets see snake oil was one of the kinder names...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Funny, I brought this product up and have used it every other oil change and was called very ugly names for using it...lets see snake oil was one of the kinder names...
    Yes, I am not surprised...that is why I am very careful to use words like "might" instead of "will"...there will always be divergent opinions, some swear by this stuff, others call it a waste of money...but for guys who have "clunky" shifting, it might be worth a try...
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Yep opas, you are right. Shooter started me on that change in paradigm and it is like being born again. OK maybe not that extreme, but it is such a smoother way to shift. Don't tell shooter he helped.
    I wish you wouldn't use such big words when you pat me on the back. What is a 'para....'. Forget it. I learn a new word every day. I'll get to it.