Improvement Suggestion Letter to Clearview Shields

Thread: Improvement Suggestion Letter to Clearview Shields

Improvement Suggestion Letter to Clearview Shields

Copy of an email I sent to Clearview Shields. Does it make sense, or just in my head? What do you guys think? Does this have a possibility?

Hi, I had contacted you via your website with a suggestion, but I did not receive a response so I thought I'd try again.

I purchased a shield from you for my Honda F6B GL1800 (Goldwing).

I wanted to make a suggestion and see what you think. I ordered it without the optional vent. I chose not to purchase this option purely based on aesthetics as I don't like the bulky look of it.

My thought is that there might be a market for an alternative. If you were to make a similar cut-out to the one used to install the vent, but make it about 1/2 as high and 1 1/2 times it's length lower on the screen itself, it might make for a very good buffer reducer and airflow modifier.

If you look at the goldwings and F6B they have a dash that would naturally dissipate the air flow up and out to the sides. With what I am picturing the hole would be located where you currently put your black mask on the bottom portion of the shield. This would be far more tasteful and less bulky than the OEM Honda vent option. It should reduce the negative backdraft that occurs with a solid shield.

The idea is similar in concept to what I believe is your main competition, which is Madstad. Everyone on the forums raves about the lack of turbulence with this shield.

Try one, see what you think. Or make me a large light gray with recurve (like I already purchased) add the hole and I will try it and tell you if you have a winner.

I truly think that you could have a significant product and larger market share if you were to take my suggestion and see if it is effective like I think it will be. I am sure you could design a feature to close it, but if it were me I would leave it open always and not care at all that it does not have an adjustable vent. It would be a discreet and tasteful way to get some airflow and more importantly reduce turbulence.

Let me know your thoughts.

If the receiver of this email is in sales, please let the owner know about my idea. He will thank you for it.

Other than this suggestion, I am happy with your product and this it is THE best looking shield for the stylish F6B.

I am waiting for my medium light tint with vent and recurve from Clearview, are you saying I may have made the wrong choice, and I won't be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I am waiting for my medium light tint with vent and recurve from Clearview, are you saying I may have made the wrong choice, and I won't be happy.
    I have the tinted recurve with the vent option and love this shield. Have you made a bad choice, not in my opinion!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

No, I like the Clearview and would probably prefer it even more with the vent. I, however, did not order it with the vent. There is some very mild buffeting. Not a big deal, but the available vent or my suggestion would alleviate what's there.

I would suspect that you will want your medium shield at it's full height. It's adjustable 3/4''. I have a large and have it at the lowest, which is 1/4'' higher than yours at max. Unless you are really short, like 5'5'' or shorter, than full height is my suggestion.

Very sharp looking shield, IMHO.

No regrets, you'll like it.

I have the shortest, sport and of course, no vent. No complaints either.

Attachment 15218
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by buda315 View Post
    Copy of an email I sent to Clearview Shields. Does it make sense, or just in my head? What do you guys think? Does this have a possibility?

Hi, I had contacted you via your website with a suggestion, but I did not receive a response so I thought I'd try again.

I purchased a shield from you for my Honda F6B GL1800 (Goldwing).

I wanted to make a suggestion and see what you think. I ordered it without the optional vent. I chose not to purchase this option purely based on aesthetics as I don't like the bulky look of it.

My thought is that there might be a market for an alternative. If you were to make a similar cut-out to the one used to install the vent, but make it about 1/2 as high and 1 1/2 times it's length lower on the screen itself, it might make for a very good buffer reducer and airflow modifier.

If you look at the goldwings and F6B they have a dash that would naturally dissipate the air flow up and out to the sides. With what I am picturing the hole would be located where you currently put your black mask on the bottom portion of the shield. This would be far more tasteful and less bulky than the OEM Honda vent option. It should reduce the negative backdraft that occurs with a solid shield.

The idea is similar in concept to what I believe is your main competition, which is Madstad. Everyone on the forums raves about the lack of turbulence with this shield.

Try one, see what you think. Or make me a large light gray with recurve (like I already purchased) add the hole and I will try it and tell you if you have a winner.

I truly think that you could have a significant product and larger market share if you were to take my suggestion and see if it is effective like I think it will be. I am sure you could design a feature to close it, but if it were me I would leave it open always and not care at all that it does not have an adjustable vent. It would be a discreet and tasteful way to get some airflow and more importantly reduce turbulence.

Let me know your thoughts.

If the receiver of this email is in sales, please let the owner know about my idea. He will thank you for it.

Other than this suggestion, I am happy with your product and this it is THE best looking shield for the stylish F6B.
    I kinda liked your letter UNTIL you ask them to make you one, send it to you and you will test it for them. Now it sounds like a guy who wants a free windshield
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

Doug, someone has to be a guinea pig. I was just trying to step up for the sake of other members. And yes, free stuff is always appreciated. : ) As mentioned I do have one of their shields, but don't want to butcher mine to test my theory. Guess I don't want to be a guinea pig after all.

So, does anyone think my idea would work and be a valid alternative to OEM vent? Am I the only one who thinks that vent can be a bit on the bulky side?

image.jpg tinted large CV with vent, I don't think the vent could move much lower. But I like it!

Damn, that's a good looking bike!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt