Synthetic or Dino? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic or Dino?

I run Motor Coat or Duralube in my cages. But the B has a tendency to come out of gear once in a while.
    I don't want to make it any easier for the tranny to act up. So synthetic will have to do.
    Every little bit helps.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Everyone has their own choice of oil, and their personal reasons to use what they do. The point being, as far as I know, I've never heard of a F6B failing because of "bad choice of oil". So, apparently, they all work.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

I wonder if the oil engineers have replaced ZDDP with another, more environmentally friendly compound that accomplishes the same goal.
    From what I've read, Borates are showing up as a replacement for ZDDP.

BTW, I kept a copy of that Mobil 1 comparison data sheet from early 2016. I compared it to the current version to see which oils had their ZDDP content reduced.
    Last edited by F6Dave; 12-31-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Everyone has their own choice of oil, and their personal reasons to use what they do. The point being, as far as I know, I've never heard of a F6B failing because of "bad choice of oil". So, apparently, they all work.
    ++1..Oil threads are a "hoot" and mostly a waste of time, but fun to read, some of them.....Run what the manual suggests and forget all the other "BS" about what oil has this and what oil has that....As you said, apparently they all work in the end....Most of us could spend more time on other things that really matter!!!...Regards

Agree, but I do enjoy reading them and every now and then pick up a nugget of interesting information.

There is a lot of BS out there from people who have no idea what they are talking about in these oil threads, here and elsewhere. Subarus from 2011-2017 are known for being oil burners due to weak rings and a coating that lines the cylinder walls, in attempts to increase fuel efficiency. I have a Forester with 67,000 on it and it uses a quart every 2500 miles. On the Forester forum, there is one of these people saying that oil consumption is due to people not changing the synthetic oil enough (7000 is recommended)...this despite a well-documented class action lawsuit that clearly identifies the piston rings and cylinder coating for the problem.

For the record, the oil consumption does not bother me. Pop the hood every six weeks, through a quart in. Subaru will even pay for the oil if I feel like filling out the forms and sending in receipts!

A lot of non-car Subaru owners are flipping out though, thinking it is the end of the world.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

When I was just starting to drive, I changed oil when my dad yelled at me to do so.
    So I told him I would change oil when he did his.
    We changed oil once a year just before summer.
    He could get 2,00,000 before driving it to the junk yard.
    I wrecked and totaled mine every 2 years.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Not Always BS

Agree, but I do enjoy reading them and every now and then pick up a nugget of interesting information.

There is a lot of BS out there from people who have no idea what they are talking about in these oil threads, here and elsewhere. Subarus from 2011-2017 are known for being oil burners due to weak rings and a coating that lines the cylinder walls, in attempts to increase fuel efficiency. I have a Forester with 67,000 on it and it uses a quart every 2500 miles. On the Forester forum, there is one of these people saying that oil consumption is due to people not changing the synthetic oil enough (7000 is recommended)...this despite a well-documented class action lawsuit that clearly identifies the piston rings and cylinder coating for the problem.

For the record, the oil consumption does not bother me. Pop the hood every six weeks, through a quart in. Subaru will even pay for the oil if I feel like filling out the forms and sending in receipts!

A lot of non-car Subaru owners are flipping out though, thinking it is the end of the world.
    This is proof that you can learn from these threads! I had a friend that bought a new Outback around 2011. It used oil like crazy, about a quart in 1,500 miles. At at the time nobody knew why, and the dealer just told him it was normal without explaining why. It really irritated him, and after a few years he got so fed up that he traded it. I'm going to pass your post on to him.

I agree much of the info on these threads is inaccurate, but you can learn to filter that out pretty easily. Some sources, like BobIsTheOilGuy.com, have loads of useful information. There are also some very knowledgeable guys over on the old Valkyrie (VRCC) board. That's where I first heard of Ford's tests of the new CK-4 oils. It's also where I learned about the problems with K&N air filters.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    This is proof that you can learn from these threads! I had a friend that bought a new Outback around 2011. It used oil like crazy, about a quart in 1,500 miles. At at the time nobody knew why, and the dealer just told him it was normal without explaining why. It really irritated him, and after a few years he got so fed up that he traded it. I'm going to pass your post on to him.

I agree much of the info on these threads is inaccurate, but you can learn to filter that out pretty easily. Some sources, like BobIsTheOilGuy.com, have loads of useful information. There are also some very knowledgeable guys over on the old Valkyrie (VRCC) board. That's where I first heard of Ford's tests of the new CK-4 oils. It's also where I learned about the problems with K&N air filters.
    Dave, it does not appear that most 2011 Outbacks were impacted by oil consumption. That being said, my neighbor has a 2012, and his uses oil just not at the rate mine does. I just tell everyone I own a two-stroke Subie.

Here is some basic information on the oil consumption lawsuit; your buddy may be interested:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-1...1420683845519/

Ironically, I think my Forester was traded in for a RAV4 for the same reason!

I have had the oil consumption test done, and have qualified for the 8 year/100k warranty on oil consumption. However, after discussing it with several mechanic friends, I have chosen not to have some dealership monkey tear my flat-4 apart to replace half the motor. Nooooo thank you. There are plenty of horror stories out there about this whole event turning into a shitshow. Subaru has ended up replacing several engines because the dealers cannot do the job right. I will just keep adding oil at a rate that I consider to be reasonable. Like I said, I really do not care, but I know I am in the minority.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Maybe I can find a used Honda flat-6 from a Wing in a scrapyard and put that in my Subaru?!? That would be awesome ... though a tad underpowered. Current engine in Subie makes 170 hp, and its no speed demon.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I have chosen not to have some dealership monkey tear my flat-4 apart to replace half the motor. Nooooo thank you. There are plenty of horror stories out there about this whole event turning into a shitshow. Subaru has ended up replacing several engines because the dealers cannot do the job right. I will just keep adding oil at a rate that I consider to be reasonable. Like I said, I really do not care, but I know I am in the minority.
    I don't have any skin in the Subaru game but I'd be rooting for that to happen to me.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!