Wrong oil from Stealership - general vent/rant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong oil from Stealership - general vent/rant

Wrong oil from Stealership - general vent/rant

Though I am not in love with motorcycle dealerships in general; I do occasionally try to swing by once in a while and give them business.

Out of the two Honda dealerships in my immediate area; there is one I will not go back to (whom sold me my F6B and I'll just let those reasons lie... they've already been discussed). The other dealership I have maybe visited 7 times to look around and have made three purchases there.

Last early August; before the F6B Rally I went there to purchase some GN4 oil. I didn't have my owners manual with me and asked the parts guy there what oil to purchase for my F6B... he directed me to the area where the oil was and handed me 4 bottles of GN4 5w-30. I asked him if that was the correct viscosity and he said yes; that's what they all come with.

Well fast forward to yesterday... when I decided to change my oil out at the first 3K mark... I decided to double check the recommended viscosity in the manual; 'lo and behold... the manual states 10w-30 or 10w-40 (dependent upon expected ambient temperatures).

So back to the Stealership I go with the 4 bottles of 5w-30. Took an act of God to get them to exchange the oil for the correct viscosity and they were not too happy about it either; since I didn't have my receipt and they had to do their job by looking up the past purchase on their computer to verify I bought the oil from them.

So in summary... make sure YOU know what oil your bike takes before you buy it (that was MY fault). Normally I am more prepared mentally for a purchase such as that. But...

...I had put my trust in the parts guy to sell me the correct oil. Just goes to show you that you can't trust them again with another aspect of motorcycle maintenance.

I wonder how many motorcycles are serviced at these facilities; that are refilled with the incorrect viscosity of oil??? Something to think about....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Yes Sir, Been There- Done That

My original dealer I bought my bike from is the last place you will ever see me. I won't darken there door ever again. I hashed all that out before with the major incompetence they showed working on my F6b and now am trying other dealers to find one without idiots working there. These are supposed to be trained and qualified certified mechanics. There were none at the dealership I bought my bike from. Filled the final drive oil with the bike on the side stand, WRONG. Over filled the oil by almost a quart, WRONG, lost one of the rubber pieces off the right side cover and it took almost two months to get it back from them. Talk about screwing the pooch!

Come on Will

Being a former Victory owner, you too should be well versed in the incompetence of motorcycle dealers.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The "Right" Oil

Rotella T-6.....The "Right Oil"....at the "Right Viscosity".....at the "Right Price" and "Done Right" by me

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Rotella T-6.....The "Right" Oil....at the "Right" Viscosity.....at the "Right Price" and "Done Right" by me
    I actually exchanged the wrong GN4 oil for HPN4 instead... while I was correcting the viscosity mistake with them. the Honda HPN4 is a synthetic blend...

...but I may go back to the T6 Rotella. I just have had a bad experience with it previously (won't rant about that again).

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Rotella T-6.....The "Right Oil"....at the "Right Viscosity".....at the "Right Price" and "Done Right" by me
    Yes sir. All counts.

10w40 Honda GN4 oil in mine, might change to the synthetic in the future. Funny but the wife's Honda car uses 0w20 full synthetic, man that's like water going in!!
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    10w40 Honda GN4 oil in mine, might change to the synthetic in the future. Funny but the wife's Honda car uses 0w20 full synthetic, man that's like water going in!!
    Ya, my 2011 F150 uses 5W-20 synthetic blend ...and it goes through a quart every 5,000 miles. Not burning it, not leaking it; it just disappears

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Ya, my 2011 F150 uses 5W-20 synthetic blend ...and it goes through a quart every 5,000 miles. Not burning it, not leaking it; it just disappears
    Is your Ford a turbo truck? Some of the turbo guy's have been griping about oil "loss" with the turbo motors.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Is your Ford a turbo truck? Some of the turbo guy's have been griping about oil "loss" with the turbo motors.
    Nope. 5.0 V8

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537