Taking off in 2nd gear. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking off in 2nd gear.

So I guess all the old Farts take off in 2nd. and us Young 56 year olds like to wind her up a bit in first! Lol Just sayin. Really its yours ride it like you want.
    I've been accused more than once of being an aggressive rider. Whatever that means. Dickie

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Here in Houston, everyone likes to 'punch the old minivan for all its worth' at the green light,,, and let off when they reach the speed limit,,,

I must be bass-ackwards,,, Roll off the line easy and use the posted speed limits for 'general reference purposes!'

What Miles and Pedro said.

2nd Gear is my gear of choice when moving from a stop

Quote Originally Posted by mel1973 View Post
    I always take off in second gear. The only time I really put the bike in first gear is when I'm about to shut it off, that's it. Taking off in second gear gives me that immediate acceleration that I need to distance myself from the others.

Mel
    All you really need is 2nd 4th and 5th
    However a gear indicator would be very nice!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I paid for all 5, I'm gonna use all 5, dad-gum it! LOL!

My first interpretation of the OD light was that Honda 'just wanted to let you know' there weren't any more cogs left upstairs,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

My first interpretation of the OD light was that Honda 'just wanted to let you know' there weren't any more cogs left upstairs,,,

Dang Gummit, I have been trying very hard to stay out of this conversation, but...you just made me laugh so hard...

Well, you can rev 1rst gear all the way up to the red line, and be doing about 20mph..lol...Just kidding, but my impression of it is that its a gear that so low it comes in handy for taking off if you're pulling a trailer or initially taking off on an incline. 2nd gear gets you up to speed quickly otherwise, but my only concern is does it damage the clutch or the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Dang Gummit, I have been trying very hard to stay out of this conversation, but...you just made me laugh so hard...
    C'mon let's hear it Miles, don't disappoint me...

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

Yup, I agree 100%!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

off topic

Here is Lafayette, La. there is a Harley hangout biker bar I rode up to with a budweezer of mine who rides a HD Road King. Anyway, long story short, when we walked out there were a half dozen HD riders gathered around my bike and they all loved the styling of the F6. A couple commented how bad ass it looked with many questions that followed. Had to smile leaving the place.