Best helmet in the HEAT
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best helmet in the HEAT

Best helmet in the HEAT

I usually just use my 1/4 helmet when riding in the heat (or most of the time if its not raining)

I wear a Klim jacket and Dianese pants, and gloves to be safe and then I put on a 1/4 helmet. Not very smart!!!!
    I need to find at least a 1/2 helemet I can wear comfortably in the heat and be safer.

I need advice please.

Stevenolts

Here is a link to the 1/2 helmet I wear

https://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t...ey-carbon-fibe
    https://www.daytonahelmets.com/ear-w...ull-cap-styles

When I did my research many years ago, this helmet was the lightest weight DOT 1/2 helmet on the market, as far as heat on the head is concerned, it is better than any DOT 3/4 or full helmet I have come across but far from ideal

What does a 1/4 helmet look like? I have never heard of one

White colored helmet

/thread

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I meant to say 1/2 helmet / I have one I bought in 2010 when I had my Harley Fatboy / very comfortable maybe some kind of higher end fiberglass 1/2 helmet?/?
    I like it much better than no helmet

I have a Bell Pit Boss which is ok
    I have a Schuberth C3 modular for the cold weather.

I need a 3/4 for safety

Stevenolts

3/4 vs 1

I guess that is very liberal to offer 1/4 of the mug in the name of safety .(I mean HEAT)but you get it.

My thinking is that less sun exposure to the skin and penetration to the inside of the helmet would keep you cooler, and also give you that additional face protection, and opening the vents and potentially lifting the face shield a bit would get you that needed airflow.

But this discussion is like oil and tires, with many options .
    Last edited by maxrider; 06-15-2021 at 10:08 PM.

stevenolts - When riding my F6, I typically wear a Shoei RJ Platinum R 3/4 when it's hot out. The RJ flows lots of air. I agree with others here that white or silver in color help, too.

My Schuberth C3 Pro does just fine. When it's real hot, I simply open the visor. The wet neck gator and cool-vest under a mesh jacket keep me cool for those high temps.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

I am looking at maybe buying the Shoei J-Cruise II
    Does anyone have this helmet?
    How is it in the heat?
    Can you ride with the clear shield up? how is the wind noise with shield up? down?
    Can you ride with the 1st or 2nd detent on the clear shield / any problems staying in place at these 1st and 2nd detents?
    Does it come with the pin lock? or is it just pin lock ready?
    Can I use my side mount SENA 50S I just bought a month ago ?/ I heard it may be difficult with the built in SENA ready

I have the Scorpion EXO CT-2250 similar style to the Shoei J-Cruise II (but with poor quality lots of noise) I love the idea I just need it executed with better quality

Does anyone recommend some other 3/4 helmet?

Stevenolts

J-Cruise II is based on the Neotec II modular helmet. I had the original Neotec for 9 years, and have a Neotec II now. I wear it on the F6b when it's not super hot out, and on my R1200GSA all the time. I've never tried the J-cruise, but perhaps my observations from the Neotec can help?

From the original Neotec to the "2", they focused a lot on noise reduction. Unfortunately that resulted in "refined" vents that don't flow as much air. It's TOMB silent, but runs warmer than the original. Not sure if it's the same for the j-cruise.

Both my Neotecs have come with the pinlock in the box with the helmet.

On my original Neotec, I was able to use a Sena unit that clamped on the helmet. On the new Neotec (like the J-cruise) it has the space for the Sena SRL comm unit. That makes the helmet thicker in the sides (on both sides) and the clamp-ons don't work (I tried). If your unit can stick on with 2-way tape, maybe it'll work. I decided to go out and buy the SRL and use it. It works ok. The buttons are TINY and hard to operate with gloves on. It's the same unit for Neotec and J-cruise AFAIK.

Well I confess: I have the bona fide coolest helmet, an old 1/2 shell which I repainted matte black and adapted as follows. Removed styrofoam shell and used a hot wire to melt air channels into the styrofoam, leading from the leading edge and fanning out to the side and read edges. Depth each channel 1/4"-3/8". Then reassembled. Someone will probably excoriate me for compromising my helmet safety. But as I see it, while I may have reduced the impact absorption, that marginal reduction is outweighed by the reduction in the temptation not to wear it (live in FL) and the increased endurance of my attentiveness. My theory was that the air flow hitting the front of the helmet would by its own pressure circulate within the helmet and it sure enough does. Please--no excoriation!
    Last edited by parenfroe; 06-16-2021 at 09:21 PM.