How hot do you feel on the F6B when riding on a very hot summer day? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How hot do you feel on the F6B when riding on a very hot summer day?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc1500 View Post
    It is? Good to know. And those Harley's do not have full fairings do they? Hard to believe the F6B is cooler.
    Hard to believe?

Most bikes are "cool" when moving. The test is sitting still.

Where are the pipes on a vtwin? Where are the pipes on the 6? The 6 is cooler sitting at a long traffic light on a very hot day and it isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    Hard to believe?

Most bikes are "cool" when moving. The test is sitting still.

Where are the pipes on a vtwin? Where are the pipes on the 6? The 6 is cooler sitting at a long traffic light on a very hot day and it isn't even close.
    Strongly disagree!! heat rises!!!! This bike is not cooler than a v twin. This bike moving is actually hotter than the last bike I had

Roasted nut shields. Some HD's drop down to 1 cylinder to lessen the heat issues when stopped.

Attachment 15171Attachment 15172

It looks like HD is finally recognizing the benefits of liquid cooling:

"... However, more crucial than the technical intriciacies of Harley's "Precision Liquid Cooling Strategy" is the question of why they chose to break tradition on the occasion of their 110th anniversary. Contrary to rumors that regulatory restrictions are pushing motorcycle manufacturers to ditch oil and air cooling, Harley insists the move came in response to their extensive customer feedback program (dubbed "Project Rushmore"), which culled data from over 20 focus groups in the U.S. and Europe. Riders, it turns out, don't like crotch-melting heat (go figure), and cooling the cylinder heads (in much the same way that BMW's newest R1200GS does) enables a modicum of thermal management without requiring a giant radiator to be bolted ahead of the engine. ..."

Why Did Harley-Davidson Break 110 Years of Tradition with Liquid Cooling?

All of the Harleys I ever had were a heck of a lot hotter than this F6B! Especially the soft tails with the oil bag right under your ass.

But heat is relative, I prefer to ride in every season except summer. Yesterday it was 93 and I was suffering in town. On the road moving it feels like a blast furnace, more of the same today for the ride home from work... I am waiting on the fall for the real good riding....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
    Strongly disagree!! heat rises!!!! This bike is not cooler than a v twin. This bike moving is actually hotter than the last bike I had
    This is an interesting debate. It has been my experience that the F6B is indeed much cooler then my Street Glide when sitting still. But the Harley "feels cooler" then the Honda at speed on a hot day. The only thing that I can think to account for this is the fact that the full fairing on the Honda allows your legs to tuck in behind the lower part of the fairing blocking the air from hitting your legs. Where as on the Harley that space is open allowing the full rush of air to hit you right in the knees. Just a thought. But I can tell you that I rode the Street Glide back to Atlanta from Colorado late last year when most of the lower half of the country was suffering from a bitter cold spell... so much so that I made a stop (in Oklahoma I think?) to buy these...

http://hondaf6b.com/asset.php?fid=11...2&d=1436562021

Man what a difference!!!

The lowers on the Vision looked like an afterthought, but could either add a lot of air or remove a lot of air when underway.

Attachment 15174

Quote Originally Posted by XHarley View Post
    I told him that with the stock short windshield I have no heat problems and would not want to alter the look of the F6B with the add on Baker wings.
    +1 But it only really works when your moving.

Unhappy Will Never Know..

Unfortunately this is NEVER going to be an issue for me
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Cool

Rode home from Tampa to Sarasota yesterday and it hit 98 on the way. I don't care what you do, it's too dang hot to ride like that.

I agree with the above post..I don't care what you ride on any hot and humid day as it will generally not be much fun...As one gets older the heat and humidity can have a very negative effect on an enjoyable ride...I find my F6B much cooler than some of my other bikes, but when it gets over 80 degrees and 65% humidity in Michigan it can get pretty nasty, especially in traffic....JMHO