Just MINUS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just MINUS

Just MINUS

Not a record I would look to achieve but we are the coldest in the 48 states friday and today.
    minus 34 official however at 6am it was minus 41 at home just outside of the city.

NO BIGGIE!

Well that's NOTHING!!!!
    I shoveled two feet of sunshine off my driveway this morning!
    And,
    I will probably have another two feet to shovel when I get home!

Seriously, I hope you and yours are warm and safe!

Cool

79* HERE TOMORROW..... Why do you guys live up there ??????
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    79* HERE TOMORROW..... Why do you guys live up ??????
    Because of the beauty and rolling hills.

Trust me...it is beautiful.....but...I miss the point where you park your bike for 7-8 months???
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    Well that's NOTHING!!!!
    I shoveled two feet of sunshine off my driveway this morning!
    And,
    I will probably have another two feet to shovel when I get home!

Seriously, I hope you and yours are warm and safe!
    In few month , when deserts temps will reach 120 deg. , you will dream about 1 shovel of snow .

Trust me...it is beautiful.....but...I miss the point where you park your bike for 7-8 months???
    Unless you live in the deserts or sub-arctic, no true biker parks their bike for 7-8 months. We're a lot colder than upstate NY, and mine sits from November to end of March, 5 months, and that's only because of ice and snow on the streets.
    Cycle Canada magazine published an article about the riding season in the US. It was based on an algorithm from Aerostich. It's available as a poster from Aerostich for $10.
    Aerostich's owner, Andy Goldfine, came up with his numbers based on " how much time and trouble one might reasonably take to dress for a typical urban-distance ride of up to 15 miles." Those assumptions were based on his riding experiences using Aerostich clothing and then applied to US Dep't of Agriculture temperature statistics. On the poster, Aerostich defines a rideable day as "a day when, with combinations of Aerostich gear, it's always fun, comfortable, safe , easy and practical to ride". That type of day would be when the average maximum high and the minimum average low is between 95F and 25F.

The bottom line here isn't about the where these numbers came from, it's about the comparison between comfort levels in riding around the US. Here's some interesting numbers:

San Francisco had the longest riding season at 365 days (duh!)
    Phoenix had the shortest riding season at 214 days.
    Others of interest were Bismarck ND at 222 days, Duluth MN (home of Aerostich) at 238 days, Austin TX at 229, Anchorage Alaska at 233, Tallahassee FL at 277, Los Angeles at 361, Chicago at 307, NYC at 327.

So, would you rather live in the hot desert, like Phoenix AZ (214), or more northerly states with real winter, like Chicago (307) if you owned a motorcycle?

Again, this is all one man's subjective description of a riding day. I'm just quoting what I read in the article, so don't flame me, flame Aerostich if you disagree.

Where I live has nothing much to do with my riding habits....My work took me to Michigan in 1963 from Colorado and I have lived here ever since...Now at 75 I and my wife have no desire to go elsewhere...Have good local hospitals, medical care, house is paid for, close to our Church, have family close by and no reason to move for us...Yes other places have different weather, some good, some not so good. As long as we have a nice area, roof over our head, and some time to ride, I am a "happy camper"....JMHO

Wasn't complaining about the cold just conversation as I have traveled most of the US to know there are many beautiful places however this is home and I wouldn't want to live any place else.

Haha that's why we live here Steve. I think it hit 80 in Tampa today!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt