What if.....

Thread: What if.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I read a theory that the fuel nozzle had a leak ( hard to detect under the conditions), the F18 engines picked up the extra fuel and accelerated into the tanker. The person speaking seemed to have some knowledge of such things, but I'm clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatnbeat View Post
    I read a theory that the fuel nozzle had a leak ( hard to detect under the conditions), the F18 engines picked up the extra fuel and accelerated into the tanker. The person speaking seemed to have some knowledge of such things, but I'm clueless.
    Plausible. Helluva leak to cause that much acceleration.
    I've plugged several times behind a C-130 and once plugged, you take station above the C-130's wing.
    If a large amount of fuel leaked at just the right time, they could have hit the wing I suppose...
    It's still heart breaking.

C-130s are a great aircraft, and been around for a very long time. Durable as h###. I served in the 82nd
    Airborne Div, out of Fort Bragg, so most of my flights were just one way. Up. We flew thru so terrible storms and windy conditions. Bounced around, but they held together, but no aircraft can survive a head on collision. My prayers to the missing and their families.