Why do you think...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think...

Why do you think...

Why do you think Honda chose not to make ABS an option for us in the USA. They clearly did in Canada, and Europe, I believe.

I would say primarily price point. I don't think it's a US/Canada/EU thing, because Honda has been offering ABS as an option on most of its U.S. lineup (including the Goldwing) for years. My 2007 VFR800 has optional ABS. They offer ABS all the way down to the CBR300. I think when the marketing schmucks came up with the Base model they were trying to reach below $20K, and they wanted to have a buy-up option (the Deluxe) that wasn't more than another $1,000. Since ABS couldn't fit into either one of those price points, they just decided not to offer it at all.

Thanks, American Honda!

Quote Originally Posted by er.medic View Post
    Why do you think Honda chose not to make ABS an option for us in the USA. They clearly did in Canada, and Europe, I believe.
    It's not an option in Canada. It's standard equipment. As is a tool kit

I just wish they had given us the option. I would have paid extra for it. I just don't understand not giving us the option. Same goes for cruise; why not offer it as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    It's not an option in Canada. It's standard equipment. As is a tool kit
    Rub it in Bird! Rub it in! At least we get two colors each year!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by er.medic View Post
    I just wish they had given us the option. I would have paid extra for it. I just don't understand not giving us the option. Same goes for cruise; why not offer it as an option?
    I think that it may be cost prohibitive to retrofit? I wonder the same thing about cruise control and gps.

Not an expert by any means and not a real aggressive rider, but I have had 2 bikes with ABS brakes and, in my opinion, the linked-type brake system on the F6B works just a good as any ABS system and is really not necessary on this bike..Probably a cost point issue also, but certainly was in no way a deal breaker for me...Love my F6B!!!

I gotta wonder if ABS is mandatory equipment in Canada and EU?

I also gotta wonder, because I have read nothing on the subject, how the linked CBS performs versus the ABS braking.
    Anyone got any insight they'd like to share?

I will say that I am impressed with the CBS equipment on my F6, and certainly don't feel at all let down by the Honda engineers for not providing the ABS option.

Now, I AM a little put out by the fact that they didn't give me a cute little tool kit in a cute plastic box. I guess I'll have to go search on eBay for an old GL kit.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

ABS is not mandated in Canada. But with our climate and roads, many of us operate motorcycles in less than ideal conditions for much of our riding. We don't enjoy the sunny climate and flawless pavement of LA. As a result ABS is expected on a flagship long distance machine like the F6B. Incidently the ABS is in addition to Combined Brakes. I haven't panic tested the system on the F6B, but I did years ago on an ST1300 and it was a difference maker!

In Australia we get the linked brakes the same as all F6Bs and ABS, as standard. Also tool kit and black or red. We don't get the Deluxe version though, however we can buy all the extras and add them. Heated grips aren't in great demand over here because it's generally warmer and self cancelling indicators aren't a big issue to me. I do like the ABS though because although the linked system works great on it's own, ABS stops the brakes locking up under extreme braking, especially on wet or slippery surfaces.