Need advice on backrest - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on backrest

One of the members on this forum has made a taller bracket which simply replaces the stock Honda one. This new bracket raises the Honda backrest I believe 3" and makes it more user friendly.
    Now here are my findings: I cut some 3/8 steel gas pipe to 4" lengths. I ordered two motor studs long enough to accommodate the 4" sections of pipe and still leave enough thread for nuts. Removed backrest via two bolts, installed two studs, dropped two 4" sections of pipe over studs, reattached backrest with self locking nuts. Way better for Mrs than stock BUT still lacking in support should she want to lean back.

So the ONLY option currently available is the Corbin stand alone which is 14" wide and 12" tall, slightly better and more useable angle.

Now here is a real interesting ALTERNATIVE. Buy another Utopia backrest. Using "Ultimates" extension bracket and bolt the Utopia to that, tada fixed. Your Mrs will have a larger backrest and it will be fully adjustable.

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Steve0080 makes a passenger back rest riser, it rises the backrest 4 inches and it's $40 shipped. I put it on last week and my girlfriend loves it! She said it is now the perfect height. I strongly recommend it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111118212398...84.m1555.l2649

Thanks for good ideas

Thank you Teach & Giddyup for excellent suggestions. Teach's alternative suggestion intrigues me quite a lot. "Ultimates" was referred to in the post, if you have a chance, help me out with what that refers to.

I took another look at Corbin's offerings, great looking total solution to replacing the whole seat and backrests, but that price will buy a lot of double cheeseburgers as a friend of mine says.

Anyhow, Thanks!
    Decades ago now, I got the wind on my face at age of 12 on a Vespa. Got hooked right then and there, Thank God!

My wife and daughter like Steve's riser. Cheap also.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I too, am going thru the back rest/seat dilemma. Could someone take a quick measurement of the width and height of just the Honda passenger pad for me?

Thanks

I did what ddoug suggested, but I made mine 3" spacers from some old pipe I had at the house. My wife said it was a great improvement over stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Backre...7a6685&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Backre...r#ht_315wt_911

The listing ran out last night so I put it up again,,,,Thanks again !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

More on the passenger backrest saga

I called Corbin today, the sell their P/N "H-F6B-PAD" which is just what is says, a replacement backrest pad, which uses the Honda backrest brackets and hardware. $298.00 shipped. 2-3 week lead-time. It will fit the bike either with Corbin's seat, or the Honda factory seat, thankfully, so that eases the over-budget burden on the bike seating. Aren't bike projects *always* over-budget !

As they build to order, you can pretty much have it look the way you want. I went with black & black, no piping, no tuck & roll on the surface so it will sorta' match the Utopia.

After all the smoke and dust have settled for me with this "what do I do" situation, I end up with the Honda OEM seat, a Utopia driver backrest, Corbin passenger backrest pad mounted on Honda OEM backrest frame and brackets. Wife approves purchase of Corbin backrest, as she was very displeased with the Honda part. The Corbin pad is generously sized.

Trouble is, I buy the Honda OEM backrest, throw away the pad (toy for the dog?), use the hardware, and then buy another pad at basically the same money as the Honda OEM backrest costs. Total passenger backrest outlay - about $600.00

Summary: OEM seat $20,000, Utopia driver backrest $199.00, Honda OEM passenger backrest $300.00, Corbin replacement pad, $298.00. All for a seat on 2 wheels, but wow what a set of wheels!

I'll put up a couple of pix when the parts come in and installed.
    Decades ago now, I got the wind on my face at age of 12 on a Vespa. Got hooked right then and there, Thank God!

I gave this post a LOT of thought and came to the conclusion that buying Steve's mount for $40, plus the Utopia backrest and bolting the two together would be the best option, and probably the cheapest. We won't even mention no dog chew, and fully adjustable. Corbin charges an additional $20 flat in addition to the backrest charge for shipping, just my thoughts.....

fl1madmax

Lightbulb Ultimate Seats Ormond Beach Florida

Quote Originally Posted by TennX View Post
    I dont have a F6B yet, but I actively follow all the forums, its my understanding that ultimate will be offering a bracket to raise the passenger backrest...good luck
    My Last 4 bikes have had Ultimate Seats, Road Star, Stratoliner, Gold Wing and Harley Road Gliide, Ill wait to see what they look like , theres a Corbin Place right up the road from Harley Destination , there both building them and they both come with Drivers and Passanger Back rest that pull out for Single around town Driving, I think a few months to Wait for something Great is worth, this is my last Bike, I'm 64 and got property on 129 North Georgia, the Dragon is only 2 hour ride, and all those roads are beautiful in the NE Georgia Area, Love this Scooter, I have 3000 miles cause I still work, but this bike is GREAT !!!!! some time you just have to wait , for the good stuff, then V&H pipes and I'm done Be Safe JB