Extended Warranty - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extended Warranty

I think part of what is being sold is "piece of mind". They would not sell them if money was not being made.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I think part of what is being sold is "piece of mind". They would not sell them if money was not being made.
    Correct. Extended warrenties are nothing more than insurance policies, and we all know that the insurance companies are RICH. When purchasing them, a person is actually betting that the vehicle will have issues, as that's the only way they will ever recover the money they spend. Don't get me wrong, if a vehicle is known as a "problem" vehicle, it may make good sense to get the policy. I have faith in the Wing, or f6, as they have historically been very reliable machines. Not to say mine may take a poop on my next ride, but I do almost all my maintenance, and am pleased at 45000 miles how good the machine is. JMO

I bought the extended warranty for mine for the “just Incase” while on vacation. I used the extended warranty on my 98 Valk for a bad starter button while in the Black Hills. If you have to deal with relay problems on the road on a GL1800 it’s going to add up quickly.

If you have a problem the chance is that it will happen in the last 4 years of the 7.... Not in the first 3 years which comes with the bike. At the $100. an hour labor they now charge, the cost of the warranty, especially if you got a deal on it , is cheap. I imagine on some things they may try to say is is normal wear or excessive abuse though. A starter, alternator, broken gears..... think of the possibilities. I agree that the engine is not likely to have an issue, but anything else is possible.

2.5 years in, I am still deciding on whether or not to get the extended warranty. I only have until October to make up my mind. Knowing a full Wing is in my future at some point in 2020 or 2021, maybe I should spend the $500, considering I will be selling an 8 year old bike with 30-40k miles on it at the time. Good selling point to have a year warranty left to give the next buyer confidence in making their decision.

I wonder how much of that investment I would get back ? How well does an extended factory warranty amoritize?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    If you have a problem the chance is that it will happen in the last 4 years of the 7.... Not in the first 3 years which comes with the bike. At the $100. an hour labor they now charge, the cost of the warranty, especially if you got a deal on it , is cheap. I imagine on some things they may try to say is is normal wear or excessive abuse though. A starter, alternator, broken gears..... think of the possibilities. I agree that the engine is not likely to have an issue, but anything else is possible.
    Good point. I got the extended warranty on my 2013 and was glad I did. 3 months past the factory warrany the hazard flasher button was stuck to the on position. No big deal...right? Unfortunately it required a new set of controls and they plug in way back in the tupperware somewhere. It was about a $350 repair. Made the $399 I paid for the warranty look pretty smart.

$631.11 is current cost of 4 year extended warranty. I struggle with the decision as I have just a couple weeks left on the factory warranty.

Struggled with it myself and decided to not get it. For a strange Florida reason it is more expensive in my state than elsewhere and you can't purchase it out of state as per Florida. Another factor is I have an 03 VTX in my garage with over 50K miles that has never been to a shop for any repair in 14 years. Honda quality I think. I would not be happy with paying 399 to buy and needing a repair of 350. Sounds like a 49 dollar loss to me. Plus with the warranty you have to stay on top of the Honda required maintenance and checkups which I think are excessive.

I was wondering how many ways they can decline a warranty claim due to missing a scheduled checkup or if I'm doing my own oil changes and they don't like my oil choice.

The extended warranty is a "crap shoot" in most cases..Very few that buy them ever use it...Yes, it has paid for itself on some occasions, but for the most part it is a waste of money unless one has a few hundred bucks laying around and nothing to do with it....JMHO