BikeMP3 vs Honda Cargo Rack
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BikeMP3 vs Honda Cargo Rack

BikeMP3 vs Honda Cargo Rack

As a newbie here, I've seen several posts with questions of these cargo carriers.

I had originally ordered the Honda Carrier until I learned of the BikeMP3 version on this board. My Honda dealer will take the Honda one back but I thought I'd wait so I could put them side by side and provide pics for others in the market for a carrier. Not sure if that has been done outside of text discussions.

As to overall size: Honda measures 11 3/4 inches wide X 10 1/8 front to back.
    BikeMP3 Measures 17 7/8 inches wide X 11 1/2 front to back

As to the weight: The Honda, although significantly smaller weighs in at 3.25 lbs and the BikeMP3 at 2.3 lbs. The thickness of the metal used in
    each is virtually the same. (sorry, I didn't have a digital caliper to measure them) BikeMP3 correctly states that they use a light
    weight alloy.

Both cargo carriers have a recommended weight load of about 6.6 lbs. They are both very stylish. Both offer 4 pins on the underside to hook your bungee cords to.

Hope this helps!

What's the price on the Honda cargo rack?

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Excellent comparo!

MP3 rack is the way to go if you actually plan to haul something!!!

I've got an OEM passenger backrest / mounts at home I need to install on my standard,,,

Pete ran a HECK of a special last winter on the rack, but I'm not sure he'll be able to do it again.

(I really have no 'immediate' need for any rack, but,,,, you know,, 'the force is strong!" LOL!)

Thanks, SPG

Excellent post: informative, concise, and for me, most compelling!

No need to over think this one. The Honda rack is so small as to be of very limited use. The BikeMP3 rack is of equal quality in all aspects, looks great, and is perfectly sized for the bike. I've had the Bike MP3 rack for a long time and have never seen any other rack that I like as well. I'd guess that most other Forum members would concur.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoglaw View Post
    What's the price on the Honda cargo rack?
    Not sure, but believe MSRP is 199
    I believe the MP3 rack is 179,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Not sure, but believe MSRP is 199
    I believe the MP3 rack is 179,
    You are correct on the pricing. My Honda Dealer actually discounted the full MSPR down to $179.96. Basically costs are equal. If you have the standard model (w/o the passenger backrest), you will need the Rear Carrier Bracket. The part numbers are different so the covers match the color of your bike. I've seen those at around $100.00 online.

I've been using the Bike MP3 rack for about a month and a half. It works and looks great. I highly recommend it.

I put the MP3 rack on my 6 several months ago and I have used it a lot. I could not be more happy with the fit, the finish and the capacity. If I was looking for a rack again, I would make the same choice.

-R

I have a '13 deluxe - do I need any additional hardware for the MP3 rack? Or does it re use all the mounts & bolts? Also, I read on wing stuff that there are now plugs for the bolt holes...anyone seen those?

Thanks! MM