Code 41

Thread: Code 41

Code 41

What in the world is code 41. Light came on in the rain. Pulled over put the bike in neutral, when I put the side stand down it killed the motor. Got the code 4 long 1 short.

Got this from the internet when doing a search on code 41.
    41 -Engine Operates Normally
    GP sensor circuit malfunction
    • Loose or poor contact of the GP sensor connector
    • GP sensor or its circuit malfunction
    • Engine operates normally
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    What in the world is code 41. Light came on in the rain. Pulled over put the bike in neutral, when I put the side stand down it killed the motor. Got the code 4 long 1 short.
    Repair or replace your side stand kill switch. It’s malfunctioning.

In my search earlier I came across clutch switch, kick stand switch, gear position switch. I’ve had an issue with the clutch switch in the past but never got a warning light. So I’ve ordered both the clutch and side stand switches. Thanks all for the help.

That's happened to me twice. Once 200 miles into a 350 mile ride in a hard rain. The bike restarted when I gave it a little throttle while hitting the start button. Problem disappeared by the time I got home and the bike dried out. It happened again a year or two later after washing it at a car wash. Problem was gone again when I got home. After a lot of looking and pondering I decided it might have been caused by water running down "crank or cam shaft position sensor wire" at the front of the engine. The wire runs into the top of a cover there at the front of the engine just behind the front wheel. I put black electrical sealant around the wire where it goes into the cover and the problem hasn't returned. Doesn't mean that fixed it but I hope it fixed it.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    In my search earlier I came across clutch switch, kick stand switch, gear position switch. I’ve had an issue with the clutch switch in the past but never got a warning light. So I’ve ordered both the clutch and side stand switches. Thanks all for the help.
    I’m interested to know the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWasted View Post
    I’m interested to know the outcome.
    The saga continues. Bought both the kick stand switch and the clutch switch. Replaced the side stand switch Friday night. No joy. Today I pulled the right cluster apart and sprayed contact cleaner as best as I could get it in it. I will try taking the switch itself apart to clean it up properly. I may change out the clutch switch sense I already have the new one. My objective is to do one thing at a time so I’ll know what actually fixes the problem. Stay tuned.

So after flooding the starter switch with contact cleaner it been starting with no problems. I didn’t dare take the top off the starter switch so I must have gotten enough cleaner past the starter switch button to clean up the contacts. For good measure I replaced the clutch safety switch, inexpensive part that I had. Thanks all for your input.

Only problem I would surmise in the future, is that any grease you had in the switch may have been washed out by the contact cleaner.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537