Maintenance. Self or Dealer ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance. Self or Dealer ?

Does anyone have a part number for the Fumoto valve ?? I think that would make things go a little faster

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Rotella T6 has the JASO endorsement on the container and the API Logo indicates it is "Non-Energy Conserving" which makes it safe for "wet clutch" applications. Diesels, by their very nature, create as much or more "shear stress" on oil, as any cycle engine, with shared wet clutch design, ever will
    I'm well aware that Rotella is JASO MA rated. I'm also aware that Rotella has extra additives for ash deposit control. Does a Goldwing engine require ash deposit control? No. How does the ash deposit control additive affect the clutch? You and I don't know unless we test it scientifically. I'll spend the extra $2/liter (Canada) for Goldwing specific oil. If I could buy a sleeping pill prescription for the saved $8 then I would send them to you. It seems you are more agitated by my not using Rotella than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike44 View Post
    If additional clearance is needed for oil/filter changes (?), remove the single left lower 5mm hex screw that attaches the lower fairing. Pull the plastic forward as required to access the filter and whatever. No need to remove the whole fairing. Use a filter wrench that fits the filter or slide a flexible strap over the filter.
    Best suggestion yet.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zzh54 View Post
    Does anyone have a part number for the Fumoto valve ?? I think that would make things go a little faster
    Hey Z, here's my original thread on it:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...ghlight=Fumoto

Any questions, shoot me a PM
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I'm well aware that Rotella is JASO MA rated. I'm also aware that Rotella has extra additives for ash deposit control. Does a Goldwing engine require ash deposit control? No. How does the ash deposit control additive affect the clutch? You and I don't know unless we test it scientifically. I'll spend the extra $2/liter (Canada) for Goldwing specific oil. If I could buy a sleeping pill prescription for the saved $8 then I would send them to you. It seems you are more agitated by my not using Rotella than I am.
    On the contrary! You could use "olive oil and vinegar" in your crankcase and it would't make a difference to me

This debate is done in fun! Don't take me too seriously....nobody else does

Ride Safe

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    It appears the "marketeers of motorcycle specific oil" have reeled in another fish Rotella T6 has the JASO endorsement on the container and the API Logo indicates it is "Non-Energy Conserving" which makes it safe for "wet clutch" applications. Diesels, by their very nature, create as much or more "shear stress" on oil, as any cycle engine, with shared wet clutch design, ever will

Logically speaking with the money saved, in not buying "motorcycle specific oil", you could buy some "Sleeping Pills" and sleep like a baby
    Well said

Ash deposits or worn clutch debris are both suspended in Rotella until they reach the oil filter where the large particles are captured. That is how motorcycle and Diesel oils are designed to perform.

Diesel Trucks that pull 80,000 LBS of Cargo plus their tractor weight every day have their Rotella Dinosaur oil replaced every 25,000 - 30,000 miles ..... changing my Rotella Synthetic on my Goldwing every 5,000 miles knowing that is has only pulled 1,100 LBS ...... I sleep very well.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I use Rotella in all my bikes. Combined, I have over 100,000 miles on them in two years. As a member of forums for each bike that I own, Rotella is clearly the oil of choice for motorcycles with wet clutches. I just changed the Honda oil out at 3000 miles because shifting was getting clunky. The new Rotella makes this bike shift like a dream.
    Doc

1998 Suzuki GS500E (Sold)
    2001 Yamaha VS250 Virago (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki GSX1300BK B-King (Sold)
    2013 Honda GL1800BD F6B (Sold)
    2013 Honda CB500F
    2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
    2016 Honda GL1800

Quote Originally Posted by Reedman71 View Post
    I use Rotella in all my bikes. Combined, I have over 100,000 miles on them in two years. As a member of forums for each bike that I own, Rotella is clearly the oil of choice for motorcycles with wet clutches. I just changed the Honda oil out at 3000 miles because shifting was getting clunky. The new Rotella makes this bike shift like a dream.
    What do you hear about Royal Purple? Some ad or something someone said way back when I first started riding again got me hooked on it and that's what I've used since without really thinking too much about it. Never even heard about Rotella until reading here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Well said

Ash deposits or worn clutch debris are both suspended in Rotella until they reach the oil filter where the large particles are captured. That is how motorcycle and Diesel oils are designed to perform.

Diesel Trucks that pull 80,000 LBS of Cargo plus their tractor weight every day have their Rotella Dinosaur oil replaced every 25,000 - 30,000 miles ..... changing my Rotella Synthetic on my Goldwing every 5,000 miles knowing that is has only pulled 1,100 LBS ...... I sleep very well.
    +1 Heavy Duty Diesel Oils like Rotella T6 are just that, "Heavy Duty".

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcabdaddy View Post
    What do you hear about Royal Purple? Some ad or something someone said way back when I first started riding again got me hooked on it and that's what I've used since without really thinking too much about it. Never even heard about Rotella until reading here.
    RP is a quality oil; they do a good job with additive packages that match the use... and this is the key. You could have the highest quality oil in the world but if the formulation and additives were not meant for YOUR SPECIFIC application, then it may not be the best for you.