checking out a 2016 F6B got questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: checking out a 2016 F6B got questions

Quote Originally Posted by ledcat View Post
    Hello folks, thanks for all the info. I would like to share my experience with you on checking this vehicle out and the short test drive I went on.
    This was a used 2016 white delux model with approx 17k on it. Besides what came with it on the delux and 2016, the previous owner had Rivco hiway pegs, driving lights that were turn signals, running lights, clear lenses on the front turn signals that were running lights, modulators on the Hi beam, heated seats, rear rack, extra brake lights, rider backrest, bellypan,with what looked like silver insulation above it.. All this stuff worked as I thought it should. All the emblems were removed, and a lighted one on the side added where the round honda emblem would be on the fairing. I'll post a picture of the eblem, maybe you can tell me what it stands for. Sounds sweet right? What I didn't like, was the lower triple clamp had alot of rust on it where it clamps to the fork, some rust on the fork itself running down from the triple clamp. Rust in places I would not expect, must have been stored outside. I took the plastic covers off the handlebars mounts and there was rust everywhere here. I think water sat in there for a while, maybe it's a little thing, but not what I expected. Alot of the black plastic was discolored in a weird white stain thought it was wax, but not sure, on the saddlebag releases inner fairing, the seat, just weird in my opinion. Front fender was cracked where the fender extender was mounted just like I learned here. The rear tire was a car tire as I previously stated, a BridgestoneRE960AS run flat. Paint was coming off the rear wheel, and I surmised this was a goldwing wheel painted black and the paint was coming off of it. Lots of rust on the wheel weights here, which I also did not expect. I checked the tire pressures and was surprised to see 25psi in each tire. That's pretty low to me, but they had just ridden it 200 miles what do I know, haven't owned a wing before. I did know from the dark side post run flats should be 32-34 I believe, non run flats higher. So, I geared up and took it for a test drive, before I got very far I realized this was a beast to get it to lean or even steer, I felt unsafe, granted I have not ridden a wing or F65B before so it's probably just me. I turned around and came and said this isn't for me. That ended my F6B dream for now. So, tell me, was I wrong? Are these bikes alot harder to handle than a sport touring bike or a sport bike, was the condition just little stuff, someone more experienced would be OK with? I know I should have given the bike more of a chance on the test ride, but I did not feel safe, and did not want to wreck it, maybe just scared. I do want to say the price was low comparatively, 12k they are gonna post if for. Maybe it's for someone here with more knowledge.
    Attachment 5861Attachment 5862Attachment 5863
    Ride another one for reference. I've never thought of the f6b as difficult to ride or poor handling.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    Ride another one for reference. I've never thought of the f6b as difficult to ride or poor handling.
    Absolutely, they handle great for such a large bike. They're kind of a sport tourer for old guys! The handling problems could be due to the car tire with low pressure. But the other issues like rust and paint damage would sure scare me away. There are plenty of motorcycle bargains in the winter months. I'd keep looking.

Ledcat---What you found there was the woman at the end of the bar at 2 am just looking for someone to take her home that has been ridden hard and not treated well.
    Keep looking...
    Last edited by Big TP; 11-07-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Yes, definitely need to find another one for reference. I coming off of riding naked bike every day, but I never thought it would it be that difficult to lean over. I would like to ride one without the low pressure car tire in the rear. Prefer this than going with an FJR or Concours 14.

I keep my tire PSI @ 42r & 40f as per AVON reps. suggestion. Could be tire pressure, rear shock could be cranked up to high, could be tires, forks. With all the flooding we've had all over the country, this bike may have gone under, which would account for the rust, discoloration, screwed up suspension, thus bad ride, bad bike = equals, "walk away."
    I've never had a problem getting the B's lean over & drag pegs, then flip it back to the other side & drag them again. Just a little butt english + a little counter steer and she's ready to rock...test ride one at a Honda dealer.
    Leave that bike where it sits. There'll be some great B's for sale, on our forum, craigslist, cycle trader, ebay at a fair price from now, through the winter. I had great luck selling my Indian Chief on cycle trader & I found the best bike I've ever owned on this forum..I told you about the new '15 left over in NC...Keep looking, your bike's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    i keep my tire psi @ 42r & 40f as per avon reps. Suggestion. Could be tire pressure, rear shock could be cranked up to high, could be tires, forks. With all the flooding we've had all over the country, this bike may have gone under, which would account for the rust, discoloration, screwed up suspension, thus bad ride, bad bike = equals, "walk away."
    i've never had a problem getting the b's lean over & drag pegs, then flip it back to the other side & drag them again. Just a little butt english + a little counter steer and she's ready to rock...test ride one at a honda dealer.
    Leave that bike where it sits. There'll be some great b's for sale, on our forum, craigslist, cycle trader, ebay at a fair price from now, through the winter. I had great luck selling my indian chief on cycle trader & i found the best bike i've ever owned on this forum..i told you about the new '15 left over in nc...keep looking, your bike's out there.
    Exactly!!!
    Last edited by Big TP; 11-07-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks folks, I knew that was the smart decision, but it had everything I wanted plus the color and year where icing on the cake. Not known for restraint, but used some today.

Ride another bike. I came off a sport bike (R1) and straight to the B. The bike handles well for its size. It took a few minutes of riding it in a parking lot to adjust. Fifteen minutes later I took it on the rode. No issues getting it to lean or scrape. My tires are stock and at stock psi. I should have given up the sport bike a long time ago. The B really is a great ride. I have a 2016 Deluxe in matte white (the best color!).

Hi there ledcat...that sure looks like some POS. not well looked after. I recall you writing it was through a dealer. Shame really, that you're unable to talk to the previous owner for some history. There are a whole bunch of reasons the bike could be in that condition. Owner neglect or environment...whatever. Lit badges tell me that at least one of the owners was likely a member here at one time.

I live in the North West in a rain forest climate and my 5 year old B looks brand new..

All owner riders here would agree (holy sh_t, a milestone!) that you will be pleasantly surprised when you ride an F6B that's been cared for.

They are elegant and powerful - a true pleasure to ride. To quote a respected on again, off again member..."Best Bike Ever!"

Good luck to you.
    Last edited by unsub; 11-07-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    ....To quote a respected on again, off again member..."Best Bike Ever!"
    Very respected.
    I do miss her 'round these parts!
    She had cool stuff to share and was as genuine as they come.
    She has the most mileage with forum members - discounting rally time.
    She still rides circles around everyone I know, and with a smile on her face.
    3 years, over 75,000 miles, and that's not commuting nor the entirety of last summer ('17) when she walked across Spain.