Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 25

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Because your head is not going to contact the pavement at speed; while in a car. Unless your ejected because you weren't wearing a seat belt.

I am sure you posted that reasoning in jest. If not... I am speechless.
    Sorry to make you speechless. Pavement and being ejected have little to do with the fact that the majority of fatalities in an automobile are due to head injuries. So wouldn't it seem prudent to wear a helmet while in a car?

I won't even speculate how many thousands of lives would be saved every year if helmets were mandatory in automobiles. But I do notice the hypocrisy.

To each their own. Wearing a helmet is up to each rider if their location allows it.

I haven't worn a helmet most of my life but with the many accidents involving motorcyclists I've been looking at high quality convertible helmets lately.

I used to wear full face helmets until I bought a Harley.
    I tried, but couldn't stand wearing a helmet with that bike. It pulled on my head like crazy with no wind protection, and riding was no fun at all.
    So, I quit wearing a helmet. I've had no crashes since having the Harley.
    I did have two bad crashes before, one with a V65 and one with a FZ1. The helmets saved me noggin in both of those.
    I used to work in a trauma ER and ICU, seeing all kinds of motorcycle accident patients.
    I currently work in a hospital ICU and frequently take care of survivors of motorcycle accidents.
    It's a gamble no matter how you look at it. Sometimes dying is better than surviving.
    I do plan to start wearing a helmet again now that I have wind protection.

I put myself in the always category. I reality there have been less than 10 times in the last 25yrs (used to ride in just shades, shorts, and tank top when i was 17-18yrs old) that I have not worn my full face lid.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

You experience a shattered visor from a piece of iron flipped up by a large tire and you find "full-face-religion" real damn quick.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    You experience a shattered visor from a piece of iron flipped up by a large tire and you find "full-face-religion" real damn quick.....
    LOL!!!! I believe it!!!!

I still wear open face some of the time in hot weather, but even then I have had some bugs that have snapped my head around like a George Foreman right hook.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Because your head is not going to contact the pavement at speed; while in a car. Unless your ejected because you weren't wearing a seat belt.

I am sure you posted that reasoning in jest. If not... I am speechless.
    Yes, you mite not hit the pavement, at least not before you punch out the windshield or bounce off the dashboard or even clip a roof post with your head on your way out, but I'm pretty sure the wearing of a helmet in any moving vehicle would serve a purpose during an accident. To equate the hitting of pavement as the major factor is naive at best!!

But I've yet to see a study on how many accidents are in fact caused by the wearing of a helmet. It mite prove a large number of accident were caused by fatigue due to the helmet from either vibration, heat or lack of air circulation. The loss of perihelia vision and the reduced hearing suffered due to the wearing of a helmet can also be factors!

I've only been riding motorcycles since 1963 so I might not be an expert, but I do reside in a state where helmets are optional. Unfortunately,the surrounding states of NY, and NJ. do require them. Recently coming home from the "Roar to the Shore" held in, Wildwood, NJ. I was forced to wear a helmet in 95 + degree weather with 80 plus humidity. I almost pulled a Hillary I tell you. So I took a longer route home to get to the PA boarder quicker just so I could rip off that damn helmet. As soon as I did I felt refreshed and was able to do the last 120 miles with no problem.

Yes, I do wear a helmet from time to time but the majority of the time I do not. It should be my decision!! Not the law passed by some money grubbing politician who voted for a law based on a kick back from a helmet MFG. who paid for self promoted limited studies.

PS. Oh, yes Will, I checked the beach there was absolutely no trash on it but it was a good quarter mile walk in white sand to get to the water from the boardwalk. You missed another good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Yes, you mite not hit the pavement, at least not before you punch out the windshield or bounce off the dashboard or even clip a roof post with your head on your way out, but I'm pretty sure the wearing of a helmet in any moving vehicle would serve a purpose during an accident. To equate the hitting of pavement as the major factor is naive at best!!

But I've yet to see a study on how many accidents are in fact caused by the wearing of a helmet. It mite prove a large number of accident were caused by fatigue due to the helmet from either vibration, heat or lack of air circulation. The loss of perihelia vision and the reduced hearing suffered due to the wearing of a helmet can also be factors!

I've only been riding motorcycles since 1963 so I might not be an expert, but I do reside in a state where helmets are optional. Unfortunately,the surrounding states of NY, and NJ. do require them. Recently coming home from the "Roar to the Shore" held in, Wildwood, NJ. I was forced to wear a helmet in 95 + degree weather with 80 plus humidity. I almost pulled a Hillary I tell you. So I took a longer route home to get to the PA boarder quicker just so I could rip off that damn helmet. As soon as I did I felt refreshed and was able to do the last 120 miles with no problem.

Yes, I do wear a helmet from time to time but the majority of the time I do not. It should be my decision!! Not the law passed by some money grubbing politician who voted for a law based on a kick back from a helmet MFG. who paid for self promoted limited studies.

PS. Oh, yes Will, I checked the beach there was absolutely no trash on it but it was a good quarter mile walk in white sand to get to the water from the boardwalk. You missed another good time.
    Boy, I sure hit a nerve with you about that, Chill out Bob... ...or I'll start on digging on Scranton, PA...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Boy, I sure hit a nerve with you about that, Chill out Bob... ...or I'll start on digging on Scranton, PA...
    You'd have to have your facts right before you could hit a nerve! I'm perfectly entertained and chilled out laughing at your misconceptions based on beliefs with out the obvious experience or knowledge of the facts.

Have at Scranton all you want! I live 30 miles away and 1500 feet above it. Just try to get your facts right so I don't have to waste my time correcting your opinions with the facts.

I think most people that come to this site are looking for experienced knowledge and facts not misguided opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    You'd have to have your facts right before you could hit a nerve! I'm perfectly entertained and chilled out laughing at your misconceptions based on beliefs with out the obvious experience or knowledge of the facts.

Have at Scranton all you want! I live 30 miles away and 1500 feet above it. Just try to get your facts right so I don't have to waste my time correcting your opinions with the facts.

I think most people that come to this site are looking for experienced knowledge and facts not misguided opinions.

Jersey's still a dump. Have at it.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-pla...in-new-jersey/

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537