How do you watch TV?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you watch TV?

How do you watch TV?

I am ready to axe DirectTV, too much money for crap I never watch.

I need 3 sports, baseball for sure, Football and hockey as well. But I don't watch a lot of other stuff. TCM and some other movie channels. Don't have HBO or any other pay movie channels.

I have 3 TV's, living room, bedroom and out at the pool in the cabana. None are smart TV's. But of course I have wifi internet and an iPad.

What do you do?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Your setup is practically the same as mine, but all 3 sets are Samsung smart TV's. I only watch a handful of channels and the rest I can do without. In my world you would be able to pick exactly what channels you want and pay only for the time the tv is actually on. Dream on, right?

I went through that dilemna a while back, the monthly bills always had a habit of "Rapid Rise" syndrome.
    It's exactly as you describe, too much money for crap I never watched, and got tired of playing the switch game after the 12-month discount ended.
    In the Detroit metro area, both cable and satelite dish offerings treat the consumer like they are morons, and neither has the sense to offer ala carte menus, so I refuse to use their products.
    I went out and bought the largest HD antenna I could find which gives me all of the channels in my area.
    An Apple TV with a Synology NAS was a nice little addition for TV and movies.
    I have no monthly bill, but no sports channels, if I need to watch a game, I'll hit the local pub.

If you're even a little internet saavy, you'd be amazed what you can find on usenet.

My old lady pays for the Cable TV (Verizon FIOS package - complete). If it were me, I'd ditch the Cable TV and just keep the Internet connection. We also have a Amazon Fire TV with a Netflix subscription... that's all I need...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

The start of this past summer was the end of my cable. The bill was getting out of hand. All though I don't watch much sports, I can make plans with friends or local bar to watch what I need. As for now My daughter has an account with Netflix and I have account with Hulu that we share.

I dialed it back to an internet connection (no cable, dish, etc.) and then added Netflix. There's also lots of content on the internet in general, but it takes a little searching and patience. In a pinch I can rent/stream a movie through my smart TV. Overall it can be a little boring, but that forces me to find something else to do.

I cut the cord for about a year. The reason i went back was because of sports. It gets difficult when theres a big game I want to watch when I dont have cable. Saved plenty of money and its very easy to do, but you need to change your sports viewing habits.

I have 4 TV's in various rooms, older ones but they work great..2 Sharps and 2 Samsungs...My cable bill from AT&T is " terrible" and I always call and complain every quarter about price hikes and why...Sometime I get a decent break, other times not so much..I have my house phone, computer/internet, and televisions, including the four cable boxes required with the main DVR and it costs me about $210 a month which "sucks"...As said earlier only about 10 channels out of the 300 I have are worth a "shit', but in order to get the church channel for my wife and a couple sports channels for me I have to buy the whole deal.....Damned if you do and damned if you don't...

Cool

I/we have AT&T Uverse..... Smokin fast internet, ( mine ) the rest of the stuff is hers...I don't watch TV as a rule. If there is a game on I want to see it is there, if outside our area I will go to a pub and drink tea and watch the game. WE turned off our home phone years ago and only use a cell. The cost of watching the TV is a crime....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I am ready to axe DirectTV, too much money for crap I never watch.

I need 3 sports, baseball for sure, Football and hockey as well. But I don't watch a lot of other stuff. TCM and some other movie channels. Don't have HBO or any other pay movie channels.

I have 3 TV's, living room, bedroom and out at the pool in the cabana. None are smart TV's. But of course I have wifi internet and an iPad.

What do you do?
    Hey Stro--I have done this for the last 2 years and it works!!!! Trust me. Call and cancel Direct TV!!!!! I did it for the 2nd time Tuesday.

Now you must completely quit with a cancel date and everything. Within a few days they will call you back with lower prices, but you have to do the complete song and dance of telling them to pick their stuff up and wait for them to call. I get the total choice package 212 channels with DVR and service for 2 TVs for $65 per month. I add the MLB package in March (Yankees fan BTW)
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]