Trailer Hitches
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Hitches

Trailer Hitches

WHat are some opinions on the best trailer hitches for the money. I've been looking at some from Value Accessories and Wing Stuff. Any thoughts about the vertical vs the horizontal receiver ? Value Accessories has a nice looking vertical one for $224, but niot sure if there are disadvantages to this one vs, say the one from Kury. that'S more like $300.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    WHat are some opinions on the best trailer hitches for the money. I've been looking at some from Value Accessories and Wing Stuff. Any thoughts about the vertical vs the horizontal receiver ? Value Accessories has a nice looking vertical one for $224, but niot sure if there are disadvantages to this one vs, say the one from Kury. that'S more like $300.
    I use the Rivco hitch, but there are some factors that may not make it the right one for you. I pull a CanAM RT-622 trailer which is about 100 pounds heavier than most others out there, so I wanted the strength of the Rivco attachment.

Pro's: Very strong, two vertical members go up to the main frame under the seat, 2 horizontal members extend forward and attach to the frame at the passenger footpeg points. Workmanship is very good, welded aluminum throughout, with a forged drawbar. Drawbar is detachable if you don't want it sticking out the back.

Con's: It's frankly a bitch to install; be prepared to spend 3-5 hours IF you have all the tools and shop facilities. When I installed mine, I found that the bracket replacing the stock bracket for the passenger footpegs needed to have a little grinding work done to fit properly; it was hitting a part of the frame casting and would not sit square on the frame bosses. Also, you must cut out an opening for the drawbar in the rear center fender. Not hard to do, pattern is provided.

Good luck with your selection, I think they all will do the job and you will have the pleasure and flexibility of pulling a trailer when needed.

Take a look at Rivco. cueman

There was a prior thread that favored Bushtec hitches.
    I have a Bushtec mainly because I also have their trailer. It's a vertical drop hitch and also a 4 point bolt on with u bolts around the saddlebag frame. It also comes with hitch ball, heim joint and lock.
    Definately well made and engineered for a goldwing F6B.
    Lighting harness is another Honda dollar bill.

Can't comment on the others.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

How does installing a hitch and towing with the motorcycle effect any warranty issues / claims?

This is directly from the manual:
    "Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle. This motorcycle was
    not designed for these attachments, and their use can seriously impair your
    motorcycle’s handling"

Seems to me that if I installed a hitch and then had take it in for an engine or drive shaft issue, it would be a sure way for Honda to deny and warranty repairs.

I've already had to deal with Honda on two different occasions concerning warranty claims and I can tell you that they were a PITA to deal with!

Keith

So the one thing that kind of bugs me with the Rivco is having the hitch come through the fender. ANy thoughts of ths. I have a lighted trim piece on the bottom of my rear fender that I really didn't want to remove for a hitch.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So the one thing that kind of bugs me with the Rivco is having the hitch come through the fender. ANy thoughts of ths. I have a lighted trim piece on the bottom of my rear fender that I really didn't want to remove for a hitch.
    I don't think the Rivco hitch will physically interfere with the light bar but it probably block some of the light
    Here is a picture of the installation.
    Attachment 22111.

Two weeks ago I took the Bushtec hitch of the 6 and put on my GL..... Love it !!!! Installing a LED light bar now on this !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151008411909...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I still have the Bushtec trailer but it needs a new home... this will work perfect for just me !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Two weeks ago I took the Bushtec hitch of the 6 and put on my GL..... Love it !!!! Installing a LED light bar now on this !!!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151008411909...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I still have the Bushtec trailer but it needs a new home... this will work perfect for just me !!!
    Are you going to move your license plate higher, or drive with the license plate hidden??

I use a Rivco after reading many post on the Gl1800 forum.