USB memory stick - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB memory stick

Sometimes the system can be finicky about refreshing the song database, like if you just add one or two songs to the USB folder the system may not see them.

I might be doing something wrong, but I almost always have to delete the entire USB stick, plug it into the bike and have it show "NO SONGS FOUND", and then go back and re-copy all the songs to the USB. Kinda a PITA but luckily you don't have to do it often and it works flawlessly once it's all setup.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Digital music and digital photography have passed me by. I just listen to the radio. Might have to figure out this memory stick thing someday.
    AWWWWWW MAAAANNNNN. Get on the bus, Gus.

Quote Originally Posted by jaygollner View Post
    I use a memory stick and am very happy with it, If I recall correctly you have to put your songs in folders that contain up to (250) songs each, double check that number in your owners manual. You can then play your music either by folder or completely random, I have about 1200 +/- songs on my memory stick and add more whenever I get something I like. Another tip is to rip the songs at the highest bitrate?/ quality possible for best results. Finally a small piece of Velcro applied to the stick and the inside of the saddlebag will hold the stick in place.
    I think I just repeated what you said here.

Bitrate is definitely a good point; listening to low bitrate music is like listening to AM.

I bought a 32gb tiny little SAN DISK it looks like a cap for the USB cable. I loaded all my songs on (a ton) in four alphbetical groups. It was playing on the way to work today. I guess over the weekend I will put it into one folder for each letter to aid if I wanted to find a group or song.

You have to love having it all on the disk (no battery to charge)

Is the USB connection better quality (digital) versus the aux connection (analog) to your phone? I don't know if that is true but I heard that.

Thank you, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I bought a 32gb tiny little SAN DISK it looks like a cap for the USB cable. I loaded all my songs on (a ton) in four alphbetical groups. It was playing on the way to work today. I guess over the weekend I will put it into one folder for each letter to aid if I wanted to find a group or song.

You have to love having it all on the disk (no battery to charge)

Is the USB connection better quality (digital) versus the aux connection (analog) to your phone? I don't know if that is true but I heard that.

Thank you, Steve
    As much as I loath taxes (because the gov't wastes so much of it) I appreciate that at least some of it goes to fund Universities, which in turn helps lead to cool technology like tiny yet massive digital storage. I've got 25,000 mp3's which takes up almost a quarter of a Terabyte.

The USB connection definitely has better quality... it's digital; the 3.5mm jack is analog. In a digital audio link, the only thing that will degrade the sound is if your music files are low quality to begin with. Analog, on the other hand, can encounter many things in the electrical link that can degrade the sound.

EDIT: Oops, I read your post too fast and missed your specific references to digital and analog; I guess I didn't have to be so verbose about that.

GaTeach
    My USB/Flash drive/iPhone issues are how I found this forum in the first place but I hadn't had time to sit down and get it worked out. Well....after downloading some really good gangsta rap and not being able to listen to it on my bike, I took the time last night to sit down and go through the process.

I'm proud to say that after several hours of threatening to pull out my .45 and shoot iTunes, I now have 182 songs in two folders on a flash drive!!! And it worked. At least it did at 2100. Today might be a different story.

Thanks for all the good info on the boards here.

Teach

Well at least the problem brought you to this forum of should I say obsession.
    Steve

I am not into Facebook or Twitter but I seem to check the forum all day.
    Steve

GaTeach
    Rode to work today and the USB and folders seemed to work perfectly. (for now. fingers crossed)
    Yay!

It took quite a while to just do 180 songs but if it continues to work, it'll be worth it.

I determined today that I need to take NWA off my flashdrive. Some of the songs are not appropriate for pulling in the parking lot at work. Or sitting at stoplights.

GaTeach

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    My USB/Flash drive/iPhone issues are how I found this forum in the first place but I hadn't had time to sit down and get it worked out. Well....after downloading some really good gangsta rap and not being able to listen to it on my bike, I took the time last night to sit down and go through the process.

I'm proud to say that after several hours of threatening to pull out my .45 and shoot iTunes, I now have 182 songs in two folders on a flash drive!!! And it worked. At least it did at 2100. Today might be a different story.

Thanks for all the good info on the boards here.

Teach
    Wow GaTeach how did you ever survive before you found us on this Forum. I for one are glad you found us. You are an asset to this Forum. I'm sure I'm speaking for others as well when I say this to you....Thank you.........Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"