Lithium batteries?

Thread: Lithium batteries?

Lithium batteries?

I recently read somewhere that our bikes are not designed to work well with Lithium batteries and I am wondering about if it is truthful? Anyone have any knowledge about this? Bad luck with Lithium batteries? Time to replace my OEM battery.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I'm curious to know what the Real advantages are over lead acid for this motorcycle?

From where I sit $100.00 or less gets you 5 years or better of reliable performance on a standard battery.

Edit: As an aside I looked at the reviews on wingstuff's website for "lithium batteries for the Goldwing" and found this 5 star review. Why it had a 5 star review is a mystery. I can only guess.

"Do not buy this. The gold wing charging system is not set up for lithium. This battery caught fire and melted inside the battery box. Fortunately nothing was ruined but caused a big delay on the road. "
    Last edited by unsub; 03-26-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I thought about buying one for my old BMW airhead a few years ago. It doesn't get ridden much and I thought a Li-Ion battery might tolerate that better. When I saw the price (2x or 3x of a lead acid battery) I decided to use my battery maintainer more regularly.

I have used lith batteries 2x on motorcycle. Honda Sabre and Indian scout bobber. Dealer talked me into the first one.Great results on those bikes, the sabre 9 yr old in sons bike and he never uses maintainer I bought for it .Always starts.The scout simply wouldn't start in cold weather with factory batt even maintained.So after warranty expired put lith in a ND boom everytime start.Having said that I probably wouldn't use in the f6b cause they start and last so well.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I'm curious to know what the Real advantages are over lead acid for this motorcycle?

From where I sit $100.00 or less gets you 5 years or better of reliable performance on a standard battery.

Edit: As an aside I looked at the reviews on wingstuff's website for "lithium batteries for the Goldwing" and found this 5 star review. Why it had a 5 star review is a mystery. I can only guess.

"Do not buy this. The gold wing charging system is not set up for lithium. This battery caught fire and melted inside the battery box. Fortunately nothing was ruined but caused a big delay on the road. "
    Some people have the star ratings backwards. More stars = bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    Some people have the star ratings backwards. More stars = bad.
    OK, I think I understand what you mean...on their 1-10 scale for beauty 1=hot.

Typical GW riders...
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

A lithium battery would be a good choice for an F6B if you let your bike sit for months on end with out a battery tender or you want your bike 5 lbs. lighter

I will be replacing my 6 year old OEM battery this year for another one, for me, no reason to spend the extra cash