tire comparison....who has run both these tires?

Thread: tire comparison....who has run both these tires?

tire comparison....who has run both these tires?

I am getting close to new rubber time on my F6...stock rear BS 704 radial looks like it will get to 11K maybe 12K tops...BS 709 front about same, maybe 13K

I am pleased with the ride and handling of the bike with these stock BS radials...but was wondering if any forum members, who have gone through the BS stock tires and a pair of Dunlop Elite 3 tires, could give me a comparison/opinion on mileage, handling, ride quality, noise...etc ??

I realize the only true way to compare is to mount a pair of the Dunlop Elite 3 tires...but, just thought some others who have been there, done that....could share some advice/opinions ....

Thanks.....Shaker

Sorry I can't answer your question but I can offer this. My stock stones have close to 14k now. I'm making a trip to Ct. at the end of the month. Most likely will replace my stones with stones. If I had left the rear tire on I bet I would have gone at least 16k, but I don't want to risk it.

As far as the Dunlops, in the past I have found them to be very sticky, which means better traction but less life . Disclaimer- not on the F6B.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I have not read anything good on the Elite III's on the F6...it would be tought to move away from stock BS...unless you go DS....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I have Elite 3's on my Wing and I love them, took the stock stones off. I've been having a lot of trouble lately with BS tires. Lots of out of round, hoppy and other issues. The BS tires have a softer sidewall than the E3 and a softer carcass overall. When you have them in your hand together you can really see the difference.

I've been through 4 front BS tires now because of wobbles, hops, out of round, won't balance etc. My new F6B had the GoldWing wobble when I got it, when slowing down the bars shake and rolling around at 30-50 the bars would shake. Many, even my service guy was like "that's just what they do, accept it" and many accept it, I don't. I put my E3 front tire and rim from the GoldWing on with 12,000 miles on it and it was smoother than the brand new Bridgestone. So they ended up replacing the entire rim and tire from another bike. While it's better it still hops up and down a bit at low speed. Eventually it will aggravate me enough to take the stones off and go with the E3's.

I put one set of E3's (which my victory came stock with) and I haven't looked back. The BS tires don't have as high a load rating as the E3 so they don't do as well with the weight of the Wing. They are much better than the old D201's that used to come on them but I don't feel they are as good as the E3.

Are they a good tire, yes they are, they are great in the rain, warm up nicely and are pretty sticky. It's the ride quality I have an issue with and there quality control lately, that and the rain grove down the middle wants to follow all the grated concrete on the interstate. It wiggles around slightly and makes me feel like I'm loosing the front tire. The E3's don't do that. I'm also getting more mileage out of the E3. On my Victory I got 20,000 out of the front tire easy with tread left and about 12-14k on the rear without being to bad. I have 12k on my Wing with E3's and no issues there either still a lot of life left (to be fair it also has the full monty traxxion suspension).

Many don't notice the wobble or the hop at low speeds or they just deal with like "its supposed to do that", I've owned 6 wings, once you set one up right and that crap goes away it's very annoying when it comes back.

I also threw the anti-dive shim in my F6B to curb some of the front end harshness. I love this Grey color I got but it doesn't ride as nice as my red 2013 that bike was spot on perfect. I think Honda's forks lately are just hit or miss, you either get butter smooth like my Valkyrie or you get that annoying staccato bounce out of the front that hangs around until about 55mph then the weight settles in and it starts to ride like a cloud.
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I have not read anything good on the Elite III's on the F6
    I guess I should speak up then. The E3's have been awesome. I didn't have any issues with the stock tires. In fact, they lasted 18,000 miles. Yes, front AND rear. I like to try new things so I got the E3's. They handle amazingly well and have worn about the same so far. I have 14,000 miles on them and I think they'll last as long as the stockers. The noise is about the same. Both sets make noise when leaning in curves after some wear, but the E3's definitely aren't annoying.

I'd like to try the Avon Cobras after these, if I can ever get them to wear out.

I love the E3's I don't have anything bad to say about them. I do notice with the Traxxion setup on my Wing that I don't get the cupping and noise out of them that I used to on stock suspension. It really makes a difference. I just feel the stones squirm around a little more but do offer a softer ride. Hold the 2 in your hand you'll see and feel the difference in construction.

Good luck on the AVON's, mixed reviews on those, some love them and others hate them, same with any tire I guess.
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    I love the E3's I don't have anything bad to say about them. I do notice with the Traxxion setup on my Wing that I don't get the cupping and noise out of them that I used to on stock suspension. It really makes a difference. I just feel the stones squirm around a little more but do offer a softer ride. Hold the 2 in your hand you'll see and feel the difference in construction.

Good luck on the AVON's, mixed reviews on those, some love them and others hate them, same with any tire I guess.
    I just had a new set of Avon's installed last week and tried them out yesterday running through PA and across WV on the way over to Washington DC. Always liked Avon's, ran them on my Valkyrie and also the VN 2000.
    They feel just fine on the F6B, it was raining pretty hard coming across rt 50 yesterday in WV so I didn't get to much of a chance to really try them out.
    We are going down the Skyline Dr and Blue Ridge Pkwy to Roanoke, VA tomorrow, I can see a little bit more how they handle compared to the stock tires then.

Picture is from yesterday in PA before the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by rickw View Post
    I just had a new set of Avon's installed last week and tried them out yesterday running through PA and across WV on the way over to Washington DC. Always liked Avon's, ran them on my Valkyrie and also the VN 2000.
    They feel just fine on the F6B, it was raining pretty hard coming across rt 50 yesterday in WV so I didn't get to much of a chance to really try them out.
    We are going down the Skyline Dr and Blue Ridge Pkwy to Roanoke, VA tomorrow, I can see a little bit more how they handle compared to the stock tires then.

Picture is from yesterday in PA before the rain.

You should chrome the side panels. The black looks out of place now.

Another to consider is the Metzler 888's.While I loved the feel of the original Bridgestones and at 11k wear was doing well as I could of gone another 2k or so but I wanted to try the 888's and while I only have 800 miles on them I can say they feel really planted in the twisties and the tread design looks like it would shed water well in the rain.How they wear only time will tell.I;m running 44lbs rear 40lbs front per installers recomendation.