No helmet but jacket withs pads - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No helmet but jacket withs pads

A bicyclist cut in front of him and he slammed the brakes I guess. It didn't speak of any other injuries, so I guess it was just him and the bike, which I heard is totaled. It doesn't take much to total an M109...mine was too.

Here is a picture of my helmet from a crash last September. I was doing about 35 mph a side swiped a curve while avoiding a major pot hole. Bike went down on the left side.

Attachment 14254

Picture of bike.

Attachment 14255
    Attachment 14256
    Attachment 14257

Insurance fixed the bike and I had it back in three weeks. $10k in damage.

For me a fractured tibia platue, torn ACL and meniscus. 6 months off work.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Here is a picture of my helmet from a crash last September. I was doing about 35 mph a side swiped a curve while avoiding a major pot hole. Bike went down on the left side.

Attachment 14254

Picture of bike.

Attachment 14255
    Attachment 14256
    Attachment 14257

Insurance fixed the bike and I had it back in three weeks. $10k in damage.

For me a fractured tibia platue, torn ACL and meniscus. 6 months off work.
    Wow! You are really fortunate to have been wearing a helmet! Hopefully you are fully recovered physically! That is the most important thing. It stories of incidences like yours that go a long way in waking people up to what can happen even at a low speed.

Regards and Safe Riding

Bob109

just about fully recovered. My knee is still an issue as far as doing a squat. Can't kneel on it also. Very little pain even when broken and healing. In order to fix the ACL the doctor used my own tendon from the knee area. When I hit the curb I can tell you there would have been no way to protect my head had I not been wearing a helmet. in my case I have excellent health insurance and receive most of my pay while off.

My hospital bills with one overnight stay were just short of $105k. I paid less than $3k.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    just about fully recovered. My knee is still an issue as far as doing a squat. Can't kneel on it also. Very little pain even when broken and healing. In order to fix the ACL the doctor used my own tendon from the knee area. When I hit the curb I can tell you there would have been no way to protect my head had I not been wearing a helmet. in my case I have excellent health insurance and receive most of my pay while off.

My hospital bills with one overnight stay were just short of $105k. I paid less than $3k.
    BCBS sux....my hospital bill was $76k....they're taking back $30k when I get a settlement. I got hit by an 83 year old. They wouldn't even pay for the ambulance...out of area. I'll stop now before this becomes a rant.

To wear or not to wear is a choice is some states and for those of us who choose not to wear that's our business. I see idiots in 115 degree heat wearing full leather and a full face helmet on a GOLDWING! While you might be safe "IF" you fall down your probably gonna scramble your melon anyway due to heat exhaustion. At the end of the day riding a bike is dangerous business and you take a risk every time you get on one. In many cases a helmet helps, in some it just keeps the big bits in place. If it's your time, it's your time.

I've wrecked a more than a few times in my riding career, the last 2 low sides my helmet never touched the road, my high side (hit a curb, to much speed) just landed me in the grass so in all of those helmet wasn't a factor aside to make my neck sore. Does that mean it will be that way the next time, no, does it mean it's that way for everyone, no. But people survive who don't wear helmets and people die who wear full gear. it's a crap shoot.

That poor guy in the picture a helmet wouldn't have probably done much more unless it was a full face. So should we all only wear full face helmets now? Ride whatever level of gear you feel you need. When I'm on my Wing or the B I don't wear one very often, on the Valkyrie I do because it has less protection and I tend to be more hamfisted with it, ride a little faster, corner a little quicker. I'm taking it easy on the others so I accept that level of risk. When I'm going no helmet I have a very very different riding style then when I do.

To each there own no reason to bash or hate on the other... Oh and I smoke Cigars on my Wing all the time, been doing it for years, never had an issue with Ash up my nose or anywhere else. It's one of my favorite things to do, a comfy backroads ride, no helmet with a nice stogie and some good tunes. That's freedom to me and the hell with anyone who wants to argue that with me!
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

shooter
    I agree that you shouldn't have to wear a helmet if you don't want. Too many regulations as it is. I also think my insurance premiums and tax dollars should not be used to save your azz due to lack of good judgment. Its like "we can save him if he has this expensive operation but his premium won't cover it". Let's call Shooter and see if he will chip in. " Nope".

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I agree that you shouldn't have to wear a helmet if you don't want. Too many regulations as it is. I also think my insurance premiums and tax dollars should not be used to save your azz due to lack of good judgment. Its like "we can save him if he has this expensive operation but his premium won't cover it". Let's call Shooter and see if he will chip in. " Nope".
    I agree... Luckily Most folks on our style bikes don't crash as much or as often or as badly as those that tend to ride sport bikes. Hence our premiums are much cheaper which I like. My CB1000R was $1000 a year my Goldwing is $300 Big difference...
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3