I wanted to share my F6B Rental Experience... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wanted to share my F6B Rental Experience...

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I cracked up watching this review:

Cheers,
    Steve
    I did too. Loved the face plant into the fuel tank.

my GL1800 Rental was great TOO,,KennyU

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    This is a little wordy, so if you don't want to hear the whole story, you can jump down to the Second Post where it's all about the bike.

I left work a little early at 3:00pm in the South Silicon Valley, jumped in my smart car and got on Highway 5, headed to Southern California, specifically Huntington Beach, to meet up with a gentleman who was renting out his 2013 Honda F6B. $129 a day, and as little as $59 a day for longer terms. I found him on Craigslist while searching for information on the F6B. I currently ride a 2003 Honda ST1100P. It’s an ex-police bike from Pasadena that I came across on auction and couldn’t pass it up. But you see, there is a 2016 Honda F6B sitting at my local Honda Dealer, and every time I walk past, it calls out to me. New, these bikes list for $21K, but there are deals to be had in the $16K to $17K ranges on new inventory, if you’re willing to travel a bit. Either way, I am not going to base a $20K decision on a 10-minute dealer demo ride. So when I found this bike was available for rental by the day… I was in.

I went to the Rental Website (www.Riders-Share.com), looked up that particular bike (there were about 20 bikes of differing types available), clicked on the button to schedule a rental, and was instructed to log-in using my Facebook account. No other options… just my Facebook account. Problem one. I don’t have a Facebook account, I don’t want a Facebook account, and I shouldn’t need a Facebook account. I contacted the bikes owner, through the Craigslist ad, and was told that Riders-Share was a startup internet company and they use Facebook as part of their authentication process, it was currently the only option. I explained that this was of no interest to me, and many other people in my demographic, but that I was happy to provide any information needed to get this ride underway. To make a long story short, over the next two nights I went through a process of background checks, information gathering, and probably even credit check. I worked with the owner of the Riders-Share website on some “confirmation” issues and eventually secured my ride date. Friday, September 23rd, 2016. I would leave the night before, stay in a local hotel, wake up fresh and meet up with the bike and its owner Friday morning.

We (the bikes owner and I) talked by email back and forth, I spent the night at the Super 8 Motel just down the road a mile or so, and showed up at his place, 7:00am, bright and early. He was a nice guy, old enough to own and respect such a bike, and this was “his” bike… not just some bar-coded rental machine parked in space E47 out in a sea of similarly equipped fleet purchases. He went over a checklist, not so much about vehicle condition, as it was about all the factory functions and added features that he had bestowed the bike with. I admitted to him that I had downloaded the Honda F6B Owner’s Manual and familiarized myself with most of the features and functions a few days before.

I brought all my own gear, Jacket, Gloves, Helmet, Shoes, etc. And his right-side saddlebag had much of the necessary roadside emergency needs, Glass Cleaner, First Aid Kit, Tire Repair and Compressor, etc. I pushed the bike back out of his garage and headed West on Beach Street toward the coast, made a Left turn on Highway 1 (PCH, The Pacific Coast Highway), and began to familiarize myself with the ride. My intent was to stop for breakfast somewhere and then head down toward San Diego where I had lived for about 7 years in my youth.

I couldn’t stop. I was so enthralled with this machine, that for the next 4-1/2 hours, I only stopped a few times to take pictures and message them back to my wife and family. In fact it was so comfortable that the first three times I stopped… I never even got off the bike to stretch my legs... I just sat there taking pictures.

So you probably don’t want a recap of all of my “vacation slides,” you just want to hear about my experience with the bike…
    Due to limitations in the forum software, I’ll cut to the chase in the next post...

I live in seattle wa, I flew to Knotzville, and rented a GL1800,TWO Hours after landing, they delv'd it to my HOTEL across from the airport,and I rode-it for 8 DAYS, I put-on 1735 miles, ONE Hour after making-it back to the airport hotel, they were there to Pick-up the Bike,,EAGLE Rental,,KennyU

Hey Kevin! Good to hear from you.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to give you a call and head back South for another ride. You've seen my other threads, so you know what your ride did to me. I'm right at the edge of purchasing my own F6B soon. Could have gone out and bought one the next day... in fact I even stopped at Huntington Beach Honda and talked with the guys there before I brought your bike back that night. But on the drive home, I decided to prioritize some personal goals first, so I could really appreciate my purchase.

Thank you again for sharing your bike with me. I look forward to seeing you more here on the forum, and perhaps a ride together sometime.
    Nice review J! I almost bought an F6B from Huntington Beach Honda. You may have seen my post asking the forum members if I should buy the 2013 with 29000 miles for $9999 or a new 2015 blue one for $13500 and everyone said get the new one. Well, that new one was from them! But they wanted to tack on an additional $999 for assembly, $399 for freight, plus it would have cost me about $500 to have it delivered to Bend, plus they couldn't arrange financing without me being present, they said it's illegal, so $15,400 and I'd have to arrange my own financing,
    I opted for the 2013 model, delivered for free, for about $10,300 OTD. It arrived today! I grew up in West Covina, maybe 60 miles from Huntington Beach, which is where my sister and nieces and nephew lived for many years also. I'm happy with my decision though I felt those guys were a little bit misleading adding $1400 onto their advertised price. Arghhh. Anyway, small world, eh? Your bike is arriving from Kansas soon, right? I bet you're excited!

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    ... Anyway, small world, eh? Your bike is arriving from Kansas soon, right? I bet you're excited!
    I can't stop buying things for it. The new rear rack came yesterday, and I picked up this from Craigslist:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

The same morning, my new Cortech Jacket showed up... in an XL instead of my previous XXXL jacket (anyone want to buy an XXXL Cortech VRX Air in Red/White/Black?)

Hitch is headed here from Chromeworld...
    Adapter is headed here from Uni-Go...
    And the best part... wait for it... the Bike has been loaded on the truck and is headed here from Kansas!

Wooohooo!!!

And the best part... wait for it... the Bike has been loaded on the truck and is headed here from Kansas!

Wooohooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    Thanx Kevin... looks like I won't be needing your bike anymore.
    I'll plan a ride South though... dinner's on me.

(This is all your fault you know)

Wooohooo!!!
    Congrats Jim! Looks like we both bought ourselves nice shiny red Christmas presents!

Merry Christmas to everyone!