Nightmare on the BRP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nightmare on the BRP

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Glad you're ok wjduke.

I agree with ReserveBum (and others here). Wearing all the rain gear pre-emptively seems to all but guarantee no rain. Of course, then you are soaking wet not from rain, but from the sweat you've sealed in with you.
    Both happened today. Caught some rain, not severe, but also got hot when it didn’t. Can’t win, but I’d rather sweat, than have soaking wet feet and boots. Did some riding though. 355 miles. Moonshiner, Cherohala, Foothills, Smokey Mtn Park, and more in the BRP.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

The Cherohala is a favorite of mine. If you get the chance to ride Ga Hwy 60 between Morganton, GA and Dahlonega, GA while you're in the area, that's also a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    The Cherohala is a favorite of mine. If you get the chance to ride Ga Hwy 60 between Morganton, GA and Dahlonega, GA while you're in the area, that's also a great one.
    Will check that out if possible, thanks. The new section of the Foothills was a nice ride. I like that one, although not as scenic. Cherohala and Foothills are my favorites. More my style of riding. Rt 281 and other roads in between are more challenging than the dragon if you ask me. The dragon comes and goes....these other roads go on forever ��

The only riding I’ve done today was to the laundromat. I’m glad for two reasons, I needed an off day to rest, and it’s been raining since about 10 am with thunder around. Tomorrow I’m on the road for sure, so hoping this choice was the best one.

Well, another fun day in Maggie....more thunder, lightning and heavy rain. I’m starting to think this is the wrong time of year to be here. Today it was great to ride to Anderson, S.C. in the am, but not so great to come back. Had to kill an hour under a gas station awning, full rain gear this time. At least I wasn’t stranded on the BRP.
    The bright side....the B is a beast. I think I’m naming her Gilbraltar, like the rock she is!

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Well, another fun day in Maggie....more thunder, lightning and heavy rain. I’m starting to think this is the wrong time of year to be here. Today it was great to ride to Anderson, S.C. in the am, but not so great to come back. Had to kill an hour under a gas station awning, full rain gear this time. At least I wasn’t stranded on the BRP.
    The bright side....the B is a beast. I think I’m naming her Gilbraltar, like the rock she is!
    We got caught on the BRP once, left and the temps were fine, but once up there, a cold front blew in like a big dog. We were totally unprepared clothing wise, but couldn't get off the the parkway. The water from the streams rolling down the rocks was freezing. Luckily, we found a little tourism center that had a fire going inside. I was never so happy to get off a bike, but we still had to leave and ride until we found an exit and back to my buddy's hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    We got caught on the BRP once, left and the temps were fine, but once up there, a cold front blew in like a big dog. We were totally unprepared clothing wise, but couldn't get off the the parkway. The water from the streams rolling down the rocks was freezing. Luckily, we found a little tourism center that had a fire going inside. I was never so happy to get off a bike, but we still had to leave and ride until we found an exit and back to my buddy's hanger.
    That’s just it, once you’re out there, your stuck until an exit or something. It was a day I’ll never forget. Most of it was my fault for not wearing the gear. I had it with me, but made a huge judgement error. I was in Fancy Gap for gas, it rained a little, then stopped. The clouds looked bad, bad I heard those things blow over, so I continued. WRONG. I just arrived home and am happy to be back. It wasn’t the best trip, but it wasn’t a waste either. I might be done with the south. If I get another chance, I’ll head west next time. Nothing will top my first time down there anyway.

We were on the BRPW the end of May and got caught in a snow storm!!! It took about 20 miles to get off and I was freezing !!! Live and learn, I always carry a sweat shirt now!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com