Need Opinions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinions

Need Opinions

Hey ,
    I just won an auction on EBAY for my dream bike a slightly used F6B ! Paid the deposit immediately on Pay pal. It sent a message back that the private seller was validated .The thing is the bike is in Virginia. The seller has a long excellent history and I have no valid reason to doubt this is real.
    I'm in Colorado.
    I was ecstatic that I won the auction and now comes the time to send a large amount of cash out to Virginia and wait for it to ship(which I am arranging)
    ..and now the question - anyone ever done a deal this big on EBAY? Am I just being paranoid about this ? I am asking opinions, I want this bike,but,but.......
    I thought to go get it,but riding even a Wing 1700+ miles in 30-40 degrees is not sane....(course sanity can be over rated :-) )

I'm probably going to go for it but just asking........

Artiste Extraordinaire Elin in So. Cal.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grendl View Post
    Hey ,

I was ecstatic that I won the auction and now comes the time to send a large amount of cash out to Virginia.
    If it were me doing this deal, I would put the money (balance) in escrow for the seller. Like a land deal. Then you can have it released when you take delivery of the bike.

I would not send money out into the ether without a middle-person (bank, escrow office, etc.) when that much is at stake and you are not geographically close.

Just me, or does anyone else feel that way?

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS for getting the most wondrous bike ever. Red or black or...?
    "If it moves, paint it."

F6B

If your new bike was in Ga. I would go check it out for you!!! You could ship for around $500 just guessing. I wonder if there is a local dealer that would help?…
    In any event… Good luck! awesome moscheen!!!

work out deal w/seller. Send some small percentage $ now and arrange a fly n drive for next month when weather will be better. Pay remaining amount and have the ride of a lifetime. Just my opinion....

I thought ebay sponsored an escrow service for distant purchases. Search their how-tos. I bet they have guidance.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Make arrangement with seller ....

Send him $5000 as a security deposit, have a certified bank check from a LARGE bank (Bank of America, Wells Fargo) made with the balance. Overnight the check to the transport company and have the truck driver hand deliver it on the day of pick-up. Truck driver waits 1 hour while seller goes to the large Bank and Cashes it or deposits the check. Have seller return within a hour and give the keys and bike to truck driver. All is good

I've done this multiple times when dealing with International buyers. Never had an issue

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I'd never buy a bike like that, but good luck! You'll love the bike for sure. Just being honest.

Ebay has a Vehicle Protection Plan which provides reimbursement up to $50,000 if you complete the transaction but don't receive the vehicle. Not sure how long it takes to get your money back, or how much of a hassle it is to go through the process. Look up vehicle protection plan on Ebay's website. I have sold a couple of motorcycles where they buyer paid me by wire, but I have always paid in cash and picked the bike up in person when buying.

Sanity is overrated!

Am I the only insane one [apart from the op..hahaha]? Ride it back! If it's a de-luxe then you will have heated grips at least.

I concur with Phantom. I have bought/sold several big dollar bikes on ebay and have friends that do the same. Never had a problem.

That being said if I had a few of days off I would fly and ride it back. You can hook up heated gear in less than 15 min! Bring a full face helmet. I would watch the weather but most of the time you could be in 50-60 degree temps during the day.