Need feedback - Kuryakyn LED lights for the rear - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need feedback - Kuryakyn LED lights for the rear

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    Did you have to drill holes to install the side lights???

Also could you post a pic up close with out the lights NOT on so I could see the fit?
    Here you go. There was no drilling for this .
    These lights maybe too much for some but for me using my bike daily commute in and out of downtown Toronto for afternoon shift. It's a must.

JB

Thank you for that. Best pictures to date; of those lights.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Thanks Jellbean

That's exactly what I needed. Yes you have your hands full with that drive downtown Toronto everyday but at least you have the right bike for the challenge. Ride safe.
    GO JAYS GO !!!! great game last night

Need some help/advice

I am having a little difficulty trying to figure out how to best run and/or route the center Kuryakyn LED lead wire upwards; to the area behind the OEM taillight; where all of the connections are to be made for it.

How did you guys run the lead wire from the center Kuryakyn LED taillight up into that area? Did you simply tie it off against the inside of the center black rear fender (somehow?); and route it up as best as possible into the plastics above?

Or did you cut a slot in the side edge of the center black fender; where it meets the bodywork and then somehow feed it upwards.

I don't really want the center Kuryakyn lead wire exposed to all of the crap and trash that's kicked up by the rear tire; the Kuryakyn instructions are not granular enough about this... in stating how you should exactly run the wire. They just say keep it secured.

Can someone take a look under their rear center fender well and see how this center Kuryakyn's lead wire is routed upwards?

A picture of the wire's routing upward (if visible) would be MOST helpful... if possible.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Anyone? Anyone?

Can anyone volunteer the specifics of routing the lead wire; as I articulated in the above post?

Or am I going at this alone? I'm sure I can ultimately figure something out... but it would be nice for once...

...to not have to re-invent the wheel.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I siliconed the wire in the channel of the light. There is only one side on the light that has the channel, then up behind the black panel.

Hi Greg,

Great minds think alike!

I actually was doing the same thing this afternoon; with epoxy. I didn't like how the lead wire flopped around in the housing. Here is the lead wire currently curing with the epoxy;

I've since studied the rear of the removable black center fender on the F6B; and have come to the conclusion that the lead wire will (unfortunately) have to be run (and -NOT- shielded by plastics) internally up along where the black center fender edge meets the side saddlebag edge.

However...

...in a moment of consumer weakness; also have ordered the vertical LED lights from Value Accessories today as well. Once all that does come in; I will rip apart (carefully disassemble) the rear center fender (again) and see if there's a better way to run the leads. For all of the LED lights.

Thanks for your response.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Been thinking about getting the tail light myself. If I do I'll be buying some automotive vent tubing, slicing it, then running some good electrical tape on it, before I attach it to the fender with silicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridlikhel View Post
    Been thinking about getting the tail light myself. If I do I'll be buying some automotive vent tubing, slicing it, then running some good electrical tape on it, before I attach it to the fender with silicon.
    Yep. Good plan. I have some tubing and will be doing that myself.

The lead wire does have a protective sheath (shrink tubing) on it; however that rear tire could kick up a rock that would easily pinch/smash/slice it in half.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I did a "test fit" of the rear center Kuryakyn LED light. The gloss black isn't "too" startling against the look of the flat black center panel. I may leave that "sleeping dog" lie for now... more remains to be seen once I receive the two vertical Kuryakyn lights... then the "fat lady" will make her debut and sing... regarding a decision to painting of these three Kuryakyn LED light housings...

However, I do not like the pinch point where the lead wire exits out between the edge of the rear center fender panel and the Kuryakyn LED light housing:

I am going to have to do something about that. I'll probably take something heated (such as a screwdriver shaft) and gently mold a slight channel where the wire exits between the two pieces of plastic. This is meant to be a fairly permanent farkle anyway... so it'll be out of sight... out of mind.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537