Speedometer error? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedometer error?

My 2013 reads 57 when The GPS reads 55. My Wing was 4 mph off at 55. The only bike I have owned in the last 15 years that matched my GPS at 55 was my C-14

shooter
    I've never checked mine at slower speeds but at hwy speeds it is right on according to the GPS.

Got to check the indicated speed against GPS today. 30-75, the speedometer was a consistent + 1 MPH. Not bad, I can live with that.
    USN Retired
    IBA # 37743
    2013 F6B Deluxe "Big Red"
    2015 F6B Blue (Hers)
    Cage - 2006 SLK 280
    Previous Rides: 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2006 VTX 1300R,1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, countless dirt bikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glad I did a search because this has been on my mind also. As long as I know we're pretty accurate at highway speed, I'm good with the rest. 80 means 80 and that's pretty important.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Yeah, That's what I told the cop in SC. He advised me I could pay the ticket via internet. Everybody there knows how accurate electronics are today

Compared to GPS mine is +1. My 1800 VTX was consistently +6. Much happier with the F6B.

Just curious, but has anyone with a variable speedometer checked to see if there might be an issue with the speed sensor? From the looks of things, our F6B's (and Goldwings) use a 3 pin VS Sensor. I've worked on a couple of vehicles for friends in the past couple of years with them and one one of those, the sensor just needed to be cleaned and reseated to clear up his speedo issue (although his was reading 8-10mph off at 70). It's probably a bit of a PITA on these bikes to do, but it might be why there is so much variety in the amount that is off among those discussing. Either that or the voltage readings on the signal line may just be straying enough to throw the speedo off...in that case a replacement sensor and gasket might clear things up.

Actually changing to a Bridgestone Potenza RF CT on my F6 corrected my GPS/speedo error,... dead on now at all speeds.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Actually changing to a Bridgestone Potenza RF CT on my F6 corrected my GPS/speedo error,... dead on now at all speeds.
    Hey Wing'n it....I thought about doing the same thing you did. My speedo is +5% out so I was going to go one size up on the rear tire. What was your error and what size tire did you move to?

I checked my Speedometer against my GPS and it's dead nuts on the money. First bike I've ever had that was correct. I also had my Cruise Control adjusted. It would drop down 5-6 mph then ramp back up to the set point. Very annoying so I had the dealer fix it.