Any tips for a long road trip ? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for a long road trip ?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    I ask at gas stops if I can fill up with ice and and water and most have no problem with it. Or if I'm staying at a hotel during a rally, I just fill up from the hotel's ice machine.
    Good to know. Thanks.

Ship It!

I go up to the Blue Ridge mountains every year with about 20 of my buddies and their friends. We meet up and ride together for 4 days and have the time of our lives.

If weather is bad, we will trailer up to a buddies house in Chattanooga and ride up the Cherohola Skyway for a gorgeous ride. Would rather ride, but why make it unbearable if you don't have to.

Sometimes we will call the hotel ahead of time and ask if they will receive a shipment from us. Two of us will box up some extra clothes...and ship it there. We will ship it back when we are leaving. This greatly reduces the load and things you have to worry about on the road.

Pick a hotel with a washer/dryer and carry less. Just do a load of wash or hand wash in the sink. I ALWAYS pack to much, so when I prepare my packing list I go over it again after I've picked out what I'll bring and reduce it by half.

A safety tip we use when riding loaded and in groups is the guy two bikes back of you has to give you the go ahead on how you packed your bike. If riding staggered, his bike will be directly behind you if something should come off. Use zip ties instead of bungees and pack extra's. I have some that are almost 3 feet long and they can hold down an elephant!

Most of all, HAVE FUN and enjoy the open road.....after all it's the reason why we ride.

Quote Originally Posted by F6bisnext View Post
    I go up to the Blue Ridge mountains every year with about 20 of my buddies and their friends. We meet up and ride together for 4 days and have the time of our lives.

If weather is bad, we will trailer up to a buddies house in Chattanooga and ride up the Cherohola Skyway for a gorgeous ride. Would rather ride, but why make it unbearable if you don't have to.

Sometimes we will call the hotel ahead of time and ask if they will receive a shipment from us. Two of us will box up some extra clothes...and ship it there. We will ship it back when we are leaving. This greatly reduces the load and things you have to worry about on the road.

Pick a hotel with a washer/dryer and carry less. Just do a load of wash or hand wash in the sink. I ALWAYS pack to much, so when I prepare my packing list I go over it again after I've picked out what I'll bring and reduce it by half.

A safety tip we use when riding loaded and in groups is the guy two bikes back of you has to give you the go ahead on how you packed your bike. If riding staggered, his bike will be directly behind you if something should come off. Use zip ties instead of bungees and pack extra's. I have some that are almost 3 feet long and they can hold down an elephant!

Most of all, HAVE FUN and enjoy the open road.....after all it's the reason why we ride.
    I have some HVAC zip strips (and tightening tool) left over for a job I did. You could attach the seat to the bike if necessary.

Turns out the biggest thing in my pack so far is my camping pack. If we were not camping for part of the trip. my pack would be very small.

First day done.

600 miles done today. Started out at 58 degrees and proceeded to 108 degrees. Got to hotel just as the lightning started to appear. Arizona has some nice smooth highways.

Had my 6 serviced just b4 I left and they must have overfilled the coolant because it burped a couple of times. Never did that b4. Will keep an eye on it.

Camelbak, highway pegs and tunes are a Godsend.

Riding with a buddy on a Vision on the superslabs. The Vision is consistently using a gallon less at fillups. Guess I need to put my fat azz on a diet.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Very cool tool. Its size is deceiving.
    If I had a dollar every time I heard THAT! lol

If you have set places along your route, you can mail a few things to save space in the bags. I also carry a few laundry detergent pellets when I travel so I pack less. Not just for the bike, but for travel over all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Did 550 miles yesterday and around 400 today. Saw a black B at a W? Burger joint in El Paso Tx yesterday and toured the Alimo today. The Alimo was a sobering experience.

Arizona and New Mexico had 75 MPH speed limits and Texas has 80 MPH. WooHoo !!! Legal 80 !!!

Texas should open up a road kill cafe chain. A lot of carcuses to choose from.

Tomorrow we should make Louisiana.

The B did not burp any more radiator fluid today. We had to cut today's miles short to patch the Vision's front fender which still has to go in for the recall.

Had a bit of wind today which made a noticible difference on fuel milage. So far we have had great weather with just heat to deal with. Last 2 days we 80's and 90's with just a short time in tripple digits.

I logged a little over 4000 miles in the last week and it is time to head back. Estimate the entire trip will be @ 6000 miles when all is said and done.

Shooter, thanks for the alieve suggestion.

Saw a south bound yellow B 2 days ago just south of Nashville, Tn.

Have gone coast 2 coast and from the gulf to Wisconsin. Taking the middle route back.

The B has been running great. May strongly consider an Ultimate seat when I get back.

Friday and Saturday was a good test of the rain gear.

Over 600 miles today and longest day so far was just over 800 miles.

Finish Line

Finished the road trip today with a total of @ 6,700 miles in 13.5 days.

Had great weather ranging from upper 40's to 108 degrees and rain on only 2 days.

Learned a lot and will be better prepared for the next trip.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions that were very useful.

Grand Canyon:

Attachment 16599

Hillbilly Heaven in Memphis, TN:

Attachment 16600

Alamo:

Attachment 16601

El Paso, TX:

Attachment 16602

Vietnam Memorial in Angel Fire, NM

Attachment 16603

Route 66:

Attachment 16604