Madstad windshield in the rain or on 12 hour days

Thread: Madstad windshield in the rain or on 12 hour days

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have the 11" Madstad screen which is great for dry weather riding but it does not keep rain off of my face. I've though of upping to the 13" version but I can just see over the 11" when adjusted fully up. I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, and use the stock seat.
    I carry a full faced helmet when there are showers in the forecast because those rain drops feel like bb's at highway speeds.

The MadStad is further in front of you than the conventional large Goldwing windshields. Being such, I think this allows gravity more time to work on rain by the time it gets to your head. That being said, I used a 15" MadStad (all the way down) in some recent East Texas downpours which were close to white out conditions. My rain gear got wet (not me), but was protected from the majority of the downpour. With that type of rain, traffic slows down so you can't rely on speed as much. The full face helmet with seal (didn't have the pinlock insert in), rain pants, rain jacket and rain booties did their thing. The only thing that was wet was my leather gloves. The dash, GPS, speakers, etc got wet as well as water pooling between the windshield and the dash. My pack on the back seat was stuffed inside a dry bag.

When highway speeds picked up, I was able to stand on the pegs to get my full face shield up into the wind to clear it off. Also stood on the pegs to clear the pooled water out of my crotch.

One other thing to consider is buffeting. My 19" traditional tall shield has quite a bit of buffeting compared to the MadStad. Not having buffeting during a rainstorm is a good thing.

Note: I also have the National Cycle hand wings and pair of rain deflectors on the front crash bars to help keep the water off the feet.

I was talking about light rain almost a mist with water on the road with no rain pants just a light rain coat. On my Harley Fatboy with water on the road I would have been soaked from road spray. On the F6b with the Madstad light rain will blow over your head. The F6B is a vast improvement over the Fatboy for rain protection. Obviously it will not stop even moderate to heavy rain or probably even the light rain for any longer than 45 minutes or so because your lap will eventualy get rain run off the jacket.
    Steve