Insurance In California
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance In California

Insurance In California

I've recently relocated from Waxhaw, NC to Olivehurst, CA ( forty miles north of Sacramento) and just obtained a CA driver's license, registrations and plates.
    Now its time for new auto and motorcycle insurance.

I contacted my insurance agent/broker of many years and he quoted me figures that were approximately double the cost of what I had been paying in NC. I anticipated that it would cost more in CA but didnt imagine it would be twice as much.

Where I had paid approximately $600/yr for a 2003 Dodge Sprinter, CA charges $1200.

Where I had paid $450/ yr for a 2013 F6B, CA charges $1400.

I ran over to the local AAA in Marysville and requested a quote, just to do a quick reality check.

Similar numbers.

The agent at AAA calls Progressive re: F6B and inquires why the premium was so much higher.
    After fiddling around with my planned annual mileage, and reducing it to 3,000 miles, the agents were able to quote me $750. for my paid off Scoot.
    They proudly informed me that this wonderful rate was due to my "Good Driver" status.

I'm still feeling a little stunned...
    I would really appreciate hearing comments from CA residents on this, specifically who they insure with and approximately how much they pay.
    Thanks ~ Jimmy

Welcome to the PRK and bend over please !!! Wait till you get your water, tax, gas, electric, etc. bills.

The best auto insurance rates I found was though Costco (they didn't have motorcycle insurance then). Still looking for better motorcycle insurance.

When I bought my Victory Vision in 2007, the PRK was charging @ 2X as much as the rest of the country with a perfect driving record.

This is exactly why I refuse to live in California even though the weather is better than in Michigan..Although Michigan has some of the worst roads and highest insurance rates in the country, it is not as bad as California and the ridiculous laws and crap that goes on in the "Golden State"..A lot depends on where one lives in Calif., but my son bought a little 1300 sq.ft. ranch in Pleasant Hill, near Walnut Creek, a couple years ago for $380,000 put another $80,000 in it for repairs and up-dates and is now ready to sell it for over $725,000!!! Hell, I worked a fairly decent paying job with Ford for over 30 years and I cannot afford the front door on some of the "crap" in Calif...No complaining, as I am very happy and financially stable, but if you want "fun in the sun" so to speak, you will pay, pay, and pay.....Ride safe

Ahh...welcome to the sunny state of Californication!
    Them numbers sound about right, I use Progressive(22 years never a claim) for my steel steeds and AAA for my cages and house insurance(32 years never a claim). Progressive gives discounts if you have more than one bike with them and a generous allowance for your add-ons.
    AAA gives breaks for multiple policies, good driver, 65 and older and take their senior diving course, cage is garage parked and has burglar alarm.

Also insurance companies red line by where you live, if in LA county it is a higher rates than say in San Luis Obispo county where I live, they say they don't do this anymore, but I think they don't do this any LESS just a different terminology today .
    http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2014/10/13/insurance-industry-redline/

they may also check your past driving record from the state you came from

If ya own your scoot and can afford to take the hit and repair your scoot then get Calif's minimum PLPD that is the cheapest way that I know of. Now on the other hand if you are rich then put up a self insurance bond with DMV and screw the insurance companies....yea right, I wish I were that rich.

The cost of living in Calif is so bad none of my kids can afford to live here and if I were starting over I could never affored to live here. I bought my cracker box, 4 bedroom 1200 sq.ft house just off the beach for $22K and is now appraised at $280K+ 40 years later...talk about inflation.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

The best part of California is the weather, land and ocean of which was already there.

When I moved to the PRK, my new boss said there would be @ a 30% increase in the cost of living. The truth turned out to be @ 300%.

Housing is disproportionally high out here. Gas prices are over $4/gal. I pay 3X as much for water in 1 month than I did for 3 months for (water, trash and sewer) combined in Wisconsin (read: over 9X). Electric and natural gas is also out of line. I have to pay local business taxes to use my computer in my own home. It is time to relocate.

Thanks alot for the quick replies, guys; a sanity check is always comforting.
    California is certainly more expensive in several ways when compared to NC, but what the heck, its California! ~Jimmy

We should have a West Coast meet and ride.

@BIGLRY - Interesting article, thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy hudson View Post
    Thanks alot for the quick replies, guys; a sanity check is always comforting.
    California is certainly more expensive in several ways when compared to NC, but what the heck, its California! ~Jimmy
    Yea, I know as my son lives there...but, I am not a big fan of traffic, mudslides, out-of-control forest fires, earthquakes, droughts, and a whole lot of just "crazy" types that support every liberal, and mostly stupid law and ideas that come out of the California legislature....Sorry, man, just not my cup of tea!!!

Don't let the drought scare you, they have it all figured out. I wonder how much for a golf course?

http://abc7news.com/news/bay-area-ho...-lawns/762135/