Rode the new 2018 today.... - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rode the new 2018 today....

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Happened to be in the Twin Cities w/some time to burn so went to Tousleys to look at the Goldwing, Had a red Goldwing and a blue touring, looked nice, did not sit on either, and to cold for a test ride, maybe when it warms up. what's the point. Didn't see anything that would really make me want one, at least the 1st year and $20,000 +.
    The biggest criticism of the 2018 right now is that the luggage rack was too much reduced. Nevertheless, coming from KAWASAKI C14, the ride/performance of the 2016 F6B feels so anemic that I still believe I am going to get the 2018 as soon as my pending 2016 sale is concluded. Maybe if you get a chance to test ride, you will appreciate what I mean. Be safe
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

Quote Originally Posted by deb99 View Post
    The biggest criticism of the 2018 right now is that the luggage rack was too much reduced. Nevertheless, coming from KAWASAKI C14, the ride/performance of the 2016 F6B feels so anemic that I still believe I am going to get the 2018 as soon as my pending 2016 sale is concluded. Maybe if you get a chance to test ride, you will appreciate what I mean. Be safe
    No argument about the top end of the C14, deb99, but I had the opposite impression about the Concour's torque down low. I still had my 99 Valkyrie at the time I test rode a new C14(2014), and I was severely unimpressed with the overall vibration and lack of low end grunt. I still like the Concours, but I couldn't wait to get back on the Valk after that ride. And other than the rider triangle being more confined, the F6b is an even smoother version of the Valk.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    No argument about the top end of the C14, deb99, but I had the opposite impression about the Concour's torque down low. I still had my 99 Valkyrie at the time I test rode a new C14(2014), and I was severely unimpressed with the overall vibration and lack of low end grunt. I still like the Concours, but I couldn't wait to get back on the Valk after that ride. And other than the rider triangle being more confined, the F6b is an even smoother version of the Valk.

Jason
    Jason - could not fault you on the '99 Valkyrie but it really does not compare with the performance of the C14. Not sure about the vibration you mentioned, but maybe there were probably some other issues with the one you rode. Cruizing at 110mph presented no vibration issues on the one I rode, and even without "low-end grunt", it was a great ride. Anyway, that "confined rider triangle" you mentioned on the C14 became an big issue after an hour of riding. Highway pegs helped a bit but not too much.

Reason for switch to F6B was a result the great reviews it received about it's performance and not being able to test it myself. I have since come to more fully appreciate the performance difference between sport-touring and touring-sport. After my test ride, I see the 2018 Goldwing fitting the mold of sport-touring. The issues uncovered so far I am sure will be covered under warranty. For now, I have to decide to accept trunk limitation and see what after-market options become available. If I am going to make switch, figure I'll do it now if I receive good offer on 2016 F6B since price for F6B will continue to fall from near $15k it presently commands.
    Just my 2c, but be sure to keep your ride safe.
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

With my 29” inseam on my F6B I’m nearly tip toed. When I sat on the 2018, for me it was much taller than my F6B. I am truly touching just the boot tips on the 2018. Because of the extra height the 2018 felt a lot heavier for me to get off the side stand and standing up right. I will test ride a 2018 just to try one out.

Wonder if anybody is able top provide comparison between the 2018 Goldwing and the BMW K1600 GTL...
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

Well, first day out this year, after 4 friggin months of rain, and my ride found me down at the local Honda dealer. You know, just to look at the new 'wing.... Imagine my surprise minutes after arriving, when the very first 2018 they had, rolled in from it's post PDI shakedown run! 8 km's on it, and I was offered the very first test ride! Obviously, I couldn't refuse! So, it was only a short hop in a busy urban setting, but I do have a couple of observations.. First of all, the main difference is the technology... You either like that or not, but the interface between the rider and machine is sooo different. From the keyless start to the different ride modes and all of the accessories, it is a whole new game, to be sure. I only had a 30 second briefing prior to the ride, so I can't comment on how intuitive every thing is, because that wouldn't be fair. But I'm pretty sure half an hour with the manual, and all would be clear. But my 20 minutes told me; 1 - it is definitely louder and more aggressive sounding (I like my stock 2013 better), 2 - the different ride modes seem a waste of time, 3 - it doesn't feel any lighter, or faster (but as we know, it is both), 4 - the sound system seems a little better, but certainly not by an order of magnitude and, lastly - it does not fill me with lust the way our F6B's did when we first saw them. I like the direct connection the old tech gives, and can't see spending 20k (if I was to trade in my bike) for the, frankly, annoying new interface. Despite all the cool shit that comes with it... So, yes, it is certainly meant to attract a younger rider, and it probably will. And I also realize that I am getting old and grumpy.

test rode the 2018 dct. Waiting for some other comments on radio. notch 30 under full face, 85mph, could not come close to hearing the radio. to make matters worse, local channel that comes in clear on f6b full of static. The radio sounded loud sitting still. Could not even hear the back speakers at hwy speeds. I did not adjust the settings before ride so just went with whatever the dealer had set up....any other radio volume complaints???
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

I had the opposite experience, Keller. I have the stock radio on the F6b, and I don't have problems with it, either. My standards are pretty moderated, though, since I'd never had a radio on a bike before the B. The radio on the new DCT that I rode was even easier to hear than the B at highway speeds. However, I always ride with ear plugs, which helps tremendously. If you don't, maybe there's a different level of background noise on the new Wing that's interfering?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    Well, first day out this year, after 4 friggin months of rain, and my ride found me down at the local Honda dealer. You know, just to look at the new 'wing.... Imagine my surprise minutes after arriving, when the very first 2018 they had, rolled in from it's post PDI shakedown run! 8 km's on it, and I was offered the very first test ride! Obviously, I couldn't refuse! So, it was only a short hop in a busy urban setting, but I do have a couple of observations.. First of all, the main difference is the technology... You either like that or not, but the interface between the rider and machine is sooo different. From the keyless start to the different ride modes and all of the accessories, it is a whole new game, to be sure. I only had a 30 second briefing prior to the ride, so I can't comment on how intuitive every thing is, because that wouldn't be fair. But I'm pretty sure half an hour with the manual, and all would be clear. But my 20 minutes told me; 1 - it is definitely louder and more aggressive sounding (I like my stock 2013 better), 2 - the different ride modes seem a waste of time, 3 - it doesn't feel any lighter, or faster (but as we know, it is both), 4 - the sound system seems a little better, but certainly not by an order of magnitude and, lastly - it does not fill me with lust the way our F6B's did when we first saw them. I like the direct connection the old tech gives, and can't see spending 20k (if I was to trade in my bike) for the, frankly, annoying new interface. Despite all the cool shit that comes with it... So, yes, it is certainly meant to attract a younger rider, and it probably will. And I also realize that I am getting old and grumpy.
    Agree with you 100%..I love my F6B and see no reason to spend a lot of money for a bunch of "whistles and bells", that for the most part, no one needs and just adds extra confusion and distractions for the riding enjoyment...Guess I am also getting old and grumpy!!!.....Ride safe

Ad me to the "Old and grumpy" bunch. Love the rounded curves and some what old school of my '13 F6b and am not the least bit interested in the new Goldwing.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin