Riding from Ohio to the Grand Canyon gives you a lot of options on routes. I would suggest a route through southern Colorado that involves riding in the San Juan Mountains (Million Dollar Highway) then through Monument Valley and then to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Only one of twenty people who visit the Grand Canyon go to the North Rim and it is a totally different experience than the South Rim. The only place to stay at the North Rim is the Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim or Jacob Lake Lodge. Jacob Lake is about 40 miles from the rim itself. If you want to stay at the North Rim Lodge you need to make reservations as soon as possible because it books up way in advance. Also the North Rim does not open until May 15th and is at 8,000 ft elevation so it can be cold even in the Summer

From the North Rim to the South Rim is 200 miles. If you are visiting the South Rim I would suggest staying at Cameron Trading Post just east of the eastern entrance to the Canyon. Cameron Trading Post is a neat place to stay and about half the price of staying in the park or at Tusayan at the south entrance. Another option would be to stay at Williams which is 50 miles south of the south entrance. Williams is a neat town which is dedicated to celebration of Route 66 and worth a visit when you are in the area.

Just some suggestions but I do urge you to consider visiting Monument Valley because it is so close.
Have a great trip and ride safe
Az Wingrider