Does anyone use a 20" windshield? I am considering one
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a 20" windshield? I am considering one

Does anyone use a 20" windshield? I am considering one

Maybe I am a bit jealous of the full goldwing riders who have the taller windshields.. seems they just cruise along and not a bug or wind in their face at all. I do have a national windshield 17" on it but just want total protection and want to sit back and cruise comfortably as well.

what brands have a 20" besides f4 who I am considering?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2015 F6B owner (purchased new 10/29/16)
    Traded in my 2014 CTX 1300
    Sold my 1995 Nighthawk
    Sold (1st bike) Kawasaki Vulcan 500

I tried several windshields and when none of them worked I said I'm done screwing around .So I bought the large baggershield. When the second half went on it was huge. Had to look through as there was no choice. Guess what? That giant shield created a monster vacuume. Between the vacuume ,buffeting,and my eyes going crazy looking through a shield that was probably moving a tiny bit. I got motionsick,Worst thing I had tryed thus far. With just the bottom on it was pretty darn good. (THAT BAGGERSHIELD WAS HIGH QUALITY PRODUCT AND SPENCER WAS GREAT TO WORK WITH)Never will I look through a shield again. Although I did not love the madstad as much as some on here I will be purchasing another one of those as it did work the best at of all I have tried.
    So if your looking for a large shield you could try the large baggershield made for the goldwing (it fits our bikes also)and can be used as a 14incher without the top. Was very nice

Just get a Madstad and be done with it.
    I went through a few windshields, the Madstad beat them all.

"looking through the windscreen" = BAD juju.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Depending on your height

I am almost 6 foot 3 inches tall and the 11 to 19 inch bagger shield is perfect, I can see over the top of the shield and it is excellent protection from the wind and on hot days you invert the top piece and get the air you need with the 11 inch in hot weather. But most of the time here in Michigan I keep the 19 incher up and running.

So everyone here is telling me it's best to look over the windshield which I currently do. I have never ridden a full goldwing but have not seen anyone looking over the shield on those.?

Thoughts please..
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2015 F6B owner (purchased new 10/29/16)
    Traded in my 2014 CTX 1300
    Sold my 1995 Nighthawk
    Sold (1st bike) Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Cee Baileys

I am 6'4". My bike came with a really nice aftermarket shield that was just not quite tall enough. I got the Cee Bailey's 19" vented shield and like it a lot. I can see over the top if I sit up as tall as I can, and look through most of the time. No issues with it and it does a great job keeping the wind off of me. Open the vent and a very nice amount of air flows through, providing much needed air flow on hot days with no head buffeting.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    I tried several windshields and when none of them worked I said I'm done screwing around .So I bought the large baggershield. When the second half went on it was huge. Had to look through as there was no choice. Guess what? That giant shield created a monster vacuume. Between the vacuume ,buffeting,and my eyes going crazy looking through a shield that was probably moving a tiny bit. I got motionsick,Worst thing I had tryed thus far. With just the bottom on it was pretty darn good. (THAT BAGGERSHIELD WAS HIGH QUALITY PRODUCT AND SPENCER WAS GREAT TO WORK WITH)Never will I look through a shield again. Although I did not love the madstad as much as some on here I will be purchasing another one of those as it did work the best at of all I have tried.
    So if your looking for a large shield you could try the large baggershield made for the goldwing (it fits our bikes also)and can be used as a 14incher without the top. Was very nice
    I am 5' 9" and have the Baggershield which has been on the bike since delivery..Never an issue with buffeting, wind noise, vacuum problems, etc. Ride with a 3/4 HJC open face helmet in warm weather and on shorter rides, a Shoei closed shield on longer trips and colder weather...Never noticed any movement in the shield, even at 90+mph....Works great for me and see absolutely no reason to spend more money on other options. BTW, I have been looking through windshields for years as I am inseam challenged , but never noticed any issues.....As they say "too each his own"....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by svnten View Post
    So everyone here is telling me it's best to look over the windshield which I currently do. I have never ridden a full goldwing but have not seen anyone looking over the shield on those.?

Thoughts please..
    My experience: Ferrying a Valk across country for a friend with a windscreen I was looking through.....Truck weaved onto the "warning track" and then went back on the road, but kicked up a bunch of nice Iowa mud onto my windscreen. I was blind at 70 mph and couldn't do anything about it. If the mud had hit my face shield I could have at least wiped it away, but I did not inherit orangoutang arms from my ancestors and couldn't wipe the windshield. Stood on the pegs to see over the windscreen as I slowed down and pulled off on to the shoulder to wipe the windscreen.

That's just my experience. I'll never look through another one if I can help it.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    My experience: Ferrying a Valk across country for a friend with a windscreen I was looking through.....Truck weaved onto the "warning track" and then went back on the road, but kicked up a bunch of nice Iowa mud onto my windscreen. I was blind at 70 mph and couldn't do anything about it. If the mud had hit my face shield I could have at least wiped it away, but I did not inherit orangoutang arms from my ancestors and couldn't wipe the windshield. Stood on the pegs to see over the windscreen as I slowed down and pulled off on to the shoulder to wipe the windscreen.

That's just my experience. I'll never look through another one if I can help it.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I had thought about this the last time you posted it. It seems it is a mixed bag.

At least you could stand up and have a clear view. If it hit your face shield or your glasses, you might at best have a smeared view.

Not arguing, just giving another point of view. I have both shields, two that I look over and one that I look through. The look over ones look the coolest, of course. But on a cross country trip, I think I prefer the tall shield.

Also getting hit in the face with big hard bugs, little alone a small rock is painful and quite startling at the moment. Just my .02 and not worth a penny more!
    Albuquerque, NM