HID info needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HID info needed

CAN someone PM ME THE LINK where i can get the sportiva kit and adapters i try searching for then .
    thanks

the only reason i did not get hid is because i refuse to spend more then $100 on it .
    i have HID on my truck wish i buy with with the entire headlight assemblies with led and all ballast and bulbs for less then $200 so i do not feel comfortable paying $120+ for hid bulb and ballast only.

I already have the SoCalMoto HID kits in the low beams and also their LED bulbs in the high beams. Except for color-matching, the LED high beams are virtually worthless. The HID's have been very good in terms of color and projection but I have not been satisfied with the scattered light pattern. To add to my concerns, on close inspection I have noticed some slight discoloration in my low beam reflectors. I don't know if they're starting to burn a bit but it is a concern. So, today, I found a product new to me that looks like it has possibilities. From HID Auto Vision, it's the 42-watt LED conversion kit. This kit is available for H7 bulb conversions and I decided to order so I could do some testing. Previously, I had not found any single-bulb LED's that could project light down-the-road anywhere close to HID. And, perhaps these won't either but we'll soon find out. They have a decent chance of rivaling the HID's because they are true 42-watt Cree LED units with ignitors. They produce 2300 lumens with a color temp of 6000K. Give me around a week or so and I should be able to give a full report with pictures! If anyone is curious, here is the link:

http://www.hidautovision.com/42-watt...-kit/#dumboBox
    Ken (Hornblower)

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badpapi View Post
    CAN someone PM ME THE LINK where i can get the sportiva kit and adapters i try searching for then .
    thanks

the only reason i did not get hid is because i refuse to spend more then $100 on it .
    i have HID on my truck wish i buy with with the entire headlight assemblies with led and all ballast and bulbs for less then $200 so i do not feel comfortable paying $120+ for hid bulb and ballast only.
    http://www.tempestdirect.com/whishidxecar.html

Call them as you will need the adapters. The techs are very knowledgeable and helpful. In the future Google is your friend...I typed this in Google and had it in about .4 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    http://www.tempestdirect.com/whishidxecar.html

Call them as you will need the adapters. The techs are very knowledgeable and helpful. In the future Google is your friend...I typed this in Google and had it in about .4 seconds.
    ty for the info .
    i did google
    justmy question was more to find out
    where people may have experience ordering and dealing with .
    but again thank you! for your quick response . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by badpapi View Post
    thanks

I can get a set to your front door for $80
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here but these kits don't look plug-n-play for an F6B to me . In fact, just doing some searching for projectors that fit Honda Goldwings, I see several kits that replace the entire headlight assemblies but unfortunately, they run around $1000. Are you saying you have installed projectors on your bike and if so, which kit from The Retrofit Source did you use?
    There's a few Goldwinger's who have retrofitted complete HID projectors into the OEM headlight housing. MacGyver installed these Morimoto H1's and has a great write up: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...-retrofit.html. I borrowed a few of his pics below for illustration.

I used the phrase "plug-n-play" loosely... it's more involved than swapping a bulb but if your goal is light output rather than fashion, then it's worth while.

You'll need to remove the headlight housing and bake it at about 300F for 10 to 20 minutes; once heated, you can open it up. The Morimoto H1 mounts in the bulb opening and is fastened with a locknut. Next wire the ballast, mount the ballast, re-aim the headlights, and button everything back up. It's not really that bad but it will take a full day of work. Fwiw, these kits can be ordered with proper butyl rubber sealant which is the correct material to use for re-sealing headlights (using black goo from Home Depot is a half ass solution).

I had a couple other systems in mind for my bike. This H1 is the easiest to install but there are better systems available such as their D2S kit. This is one of their newer designs... the projector has less inappropriate foreground lighting, brighter hotspot down the center for distance, and wider beam width for lighting the ditches better. Further, this D2S kit uses a proper OEM HID bulb (a D2S bulb lol). The H1 kit uses an aftermarket HID bulb re-based onto an H7 plug. I would rather run bulbs that come direct from Philips or Sylvania as opposed to a 3rd party with, assumingly, lesser quality control.

I already have the SoCalMoto HID kits in the low beams and also their LED bulbs in the high beams. Except for color-matching, the LED high beams are virtually worthless. The HID's have been very good in terms of color and projection but I have not been satisfied with the scattered light pattern. To add to my concerns, on close inspection I have noticed some slight discoloration in my low beam reflectors. I don't know if they're starting to burn a bit but it is a concern. So, today, I found a product new to me that looks like it has possibilities. From HID Auto Vision, it's the 42-watt LED conversion kit. This kit is available for H7 bulb conversions and I decided to order so I could do some testing. Previously, I had not found any single-bulb LED's that could project light down-the-road anywhere close to HID. And, perhaps these won't either but we'll soon find out. They have a decent chance of rivaling the HID's because they are true 42-watt Cree LED units with ignitors. They produce 2300 lumens with a color temp of 6000K. Give me around a week or so and I should be able to give a full report with pictures! If anyone is curious, here is the link:

http://www.hidautovision.com/42-watt...-kit/#dumboBox

This might just be what I'm looking for, think a lot of folks will be waiting on your feedback on this one. Something I'd like to see is someone put a hand held laser thermometer on one some of these various setups and see what temp they're actually running at: HID vs LED vs Halogen. Best way to check if some of these really do run cooler as claimed.
    ss^,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    This might just be what I'm looking for, think a lot of folks will be waiting on your feedback on this one. Something I'd like to see is someone put a hand held laser thermometer on one some of these various setups and see what temp they're actually running at: HID vs LED vs Halogen. Best way to check if some of these really do run cooler as claimed.
    It's not so much a question of how hot the bulb or element is but what is done with the heat. For example, I've been experimenting with a 30 watt LED and mounted it on a really large heat sink like this:

Attachment 8794

Needless to say, this bulb will run cool for hours. In the same way, the bulb from HID Auto Vision claims that aviation quality aluminum die-casting is used in the casing, and integrated forced air cooling keeps the bulb cool and efficient. That's another reason for trying this particular LED. Again, all the information I see on this is positive but I don't want to make an early call that it's THE ANSWER.
    Ken (Hornblower)

It's not so much a question of how hot the bulb or element is but what is done with the heat. For example, I've been experimenting with a 30 watt LED and mounted it on a really large heat sink like this:

Attachment 8794

Needless to say, this bulb will run cool for hours. In the same way, the bulb from HID Auto Vision claims that aviation quality aluminum die-casting is used in the casing, and integrated forced air cooling keeps the bulb cool and efficient. That's another reason for trying this particular LED. Again, all the information I see on this is positive but I don't want to make an early call that it's THE ANSWER.
    I've seen a lot of driving light style LEDs of late, with some kind of built in fan at the base from amazon, superlumination and dh gate. Little shy of sticking them in headlights for obvious reasons. Looking forward to seeing what your results are.

One thing I'd like to ask since I can't find it listed on their site, the SoCal HIDs that you mentioned having some issues with, do you recall whether they were they 35W or 50W units?
    ss^,
    Ken

THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I can get a set to your front door for $80
    WHEN IM READY TO BUY THEM I SURE WILL PM YOU .
    THANKS YOU !!!