Madstad for F6B - Page 15
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Resisted as long as I could...

Well, count me among the Madstad owners, just got off the phone with Chris and ordered a set up which should be here next week.

I had read this thread a few times and wanted to clarify what would be sent before it got shipped so here is the rundown from Chris as of today, as was mentioned the F6B package now ships standard with a 10" Base plate and not the 8" that it used to when it was first in production. It also ships with the shield that has the shallow bottom contour. Good news for me, since both of those are what I wanted.

I was unsure if I wanted the 11" or 13" shield and Chris was a bit on the fence, but leaning toward the 13", as well since being 6' I fall at sort of the middle ground of the two. He of course told me that I had the option of exchanging the shield but I felt like unless I got to try both back to back I would always wonder if I made the right choice. I chose to order the 13" system and then also an 11" replacement shield. Whichever one I decide on I will keep and the other will get returned (or sold here if someone wants it).

Now the hard parts, waiting for arrival and trying to keep the wife from beating me for ordering more chit.

Did anyone compare Madstad to Windbender?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post

I would love to see that. IMO the wind bender is better looking (probably because it retains the stock rake) and it has electric adjustment for fine tuning in different conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I researched the Windbender and Madstad before my purchase. I could not find anyone on the internet who had ridden behind both at that time. Also at that time Windbender was developing their rake kit to allow adjustment of the shield rake. Rake adjustment was built into the original Madstad brackets from day one. In the end I went Madstad because I thought their bracket system looked more elegant than the Windbender with there rake kit installed.

I have read comments / reviews from a few with the Wendbender's that have the rake kit and they all seem to agree that adding rake adjustment provides additional wind protection. I too would like to hear from someone that has ridden behind both.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    The Wife's Madstad arrived yesterday. 13" Med Gray. (I can see why folks like the Med Gray,,, The light gray is pretty light)

The base, by itself, not mounted, measures 12 3/4 at the widest point (center) Will have to see what it measures after mounting,,,,

$287.13 shipped.

Not really apples to apples comparing it to an electric Windbender,,,

$301 - $363 for the 'bender, and another ~$400~ for the electric option,,, (Shipping included)

Perhaps a just a Windbender with the optional Rake kit ($180-$200 option) would be comparable in functionality with the Madstad.

So, I guess that leaves some to wonder,,,, is the ability to adjust the rake not really needed????

As an owner of a shield that moves up and down as well as tilts forward or back, I'd say the rake makes a huge difference in 'fine tuning'.

Are there any Madstad owners here that feel like their rake adjustment is 'unnecessary/serves no purpose'?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

Are there any Madstad owners here that feel like their rake adjustment is 'unnecessary/serves no purpose'?
    Not me, I used height and rake to find my sweet spot. But I am pretty close to Madstad's recomended angle.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Not me, I used height and rake to find my sweet spot. But I am pretty close to Madstad's recomended angle.
    I installed the Madstad with the rake in the position in which it was shipped. First ride, all I did was adjust the height, and wa la, perfect. Subsequent rides, I played with the rake, and ultimately went back to manufacturer's shipped setting. I am 100% satisfied! This system is quiet, and offers less buffeting than the other 3 (yep, that's right, 3) shields that I have tried. Haven't ridden in the rain yet, but I know that's coming.

Curious as to what were the other 3 shields you tried before the Madstad???

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Cee Bailey 15" light grey tint w/air vent

Slipstreamer 11" drk smoke

Honda tall touring

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Opas has a real good question which kind of gets to the real point: How much better is the Madstad wind protection compared to a conventional shield? You really have to ride behind the Madstad before you can fully appreciate the difference. I had the 11" Baggershield which at the time I thought was an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Now that I have the Madstad, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate both as follows:

11" Madstad Rating = 10
    11" BaggerShield Rating = 5

Perhaps others with the Madstad can share their 1 to 10 rating of the Madstad compared to their previous make & model of shield on the F6B?