Have you ever drilled a hole... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever drilled a hole...

seat replacement

Hi from Oz try grinding a point on the bolts they will self centre.

Fixed now. Sort of...

... with a 3/8" finishing hole plug from Lowes. 2ea for $1.09 So that leaves me an extra for my next future blunder...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Done something like that before,, me,, YUP a few times.

At least it is centered and a plug won't look out of place, and $4 is a pretty cheap screw up fix.

If it helps, this is what I did for the Gerbing gear. The Gas Cap door is about $25 if I decide to pull the wiring for a new bike.

I have an extra panel ( the one on the right ) if anyone needs it !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ... with a 3/8" finishing hole plug from Lowes. 2ea for $1.09 So that leaves me an extra for my next future blunder...

Those who know would notice, no one else.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I have an extra 1" ball that you could use to mount a Ram mount there. Let me know and I will send it out to you. The ball would mount with a 10/24 bolt from below, then you need to get the arm and XMount or other desired mount. Maybe a camera facing up to film you or to the side for a countryside video.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I have an extra 1" ball that you could use to mount a Ram mount there. Let me know and I will send it out to you. The ball would mount with a 10/24 bolt from below, then you need to get the arm and XMount or other desired mount. Maybe a camera facing up to film you or to the side for a countryside video.
    Thanks Stro but not needed (and would'nt work at that spot). The gas cap door would not be able to open.... whatever is mounted there needs to be very flat. The Gerbing power connector was flush enough when installed on the surface (with it's protective cap).

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    If I remember, I was able to run the wires up inside the fuel tray without cutting, but the job was done when I had the bike torn down for the Heated Grip install so all the covers were off the bike.

As for the 12 volts in the Fuel Cap area, I see no problem.
    1) all electrical connections under the cover are heat shrink sealed and no reason to spark as they are mounted to a plastic cover.
    2) the bike is never fueled while running nor am I ever sitting on the seat which means the gear gets disconnected when I get off and the ignition is always off.
    3) Seldom do I ever feel the need to top the tank off or try to get ever drop in, so spillage is basically non existent.
    4) Due to the nature of the "hardwired" Gerbing Controllers that I have, when power is shut off (as with turn off the ignition) when the ignition is turned back on the Controllers have to be shut off and turned back on before power is sent to the jack. So there is no power at the jack when I plug in the gear until I turn on the Controller once the bike is running.

BUT I do understand your point and actually spent much time over-thinking the install.
    I just ordered the permanent controller and ports for my gear. Does the controller still hook directly into the battery? I want to make sure that it is not powered when the key is off.
    Thanks for any insight on this. I really like the looks of your setup.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    I just ordered the permanent controller and ports for my gear. Does the controller still hook directly into the battery? I want to make sure that it is not powered when the key is off.
    Thanks for any insight on this. I really like the looks of your setup.Bill
    Thanks, yes you go straight to the battery so it stays live all the time.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    This is my approach, works well for heated clothes or battery tender.
    Can I ask why you didn't just drill a hole in one of the blank panels below the preset buttons? What do people usually put where those covers are?

I did not use those because one for lower cowl lights and the other hazard lights switch,
    and some day when I put the cruise on it I will move the hazard sw to that location.