Coolant leak now - I blame Seadog - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coolant leak now - I blame Seadog

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Nice work, Will. HOPE it comes back together well.
    If I could use your plight for a quick story I'm proud to tell..
    I had a little brother who was always described as off or had problems or just wasn't or going to be very brite....
    When I was a kid, maybe 10, Dad started me racing minibikes. I wasn't very good but burned through several bikes that ended up going to my little brother as hand me downs. When I was done with em they were pretty well thrashed. Ok, to the point and Will's plight; my little bros, 6 or 7 year old at the time, who had the nickname of Mr. Destructo, given him by my dad.. We came home one afternoon only to find one of the discarded minibikes in a million pieces in the back yard, with Dads best tools scattered from he'll to breakfast. Oh shit, Dad was pissed, little bros got a wippin and it was a bad deal all around..
    Next day though, we came home and Mr. Destruto had the mini back together and running better than it ever had...
    The tools were put away and nothing to clean up. I saw my Dad cry over that deal and even heard him tell off the the psychiatric doctor who told my folks your son was slow and would never amount to much.
    Before I lost him, he was designing natural gas, v12 compressor stations with only a hard fought high school education. Today was his birthday.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    J
    Awesome story---thanks a ton for sharing.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gawddammit it to hell. It's still leaking... after I tore it all down, tightened the clamp and put it back together....

Am so pissed off right now. Maybe it is a pin hole leak in the hose like Stroguy had with his machine.

Stroguy, did they tell you where the pinhole was? Was it around the clamp area? I ran my motor with all of that shit off of it, brought it up to operating temperature and saw NO LEAKS while she was naked.

I'm too disgusted at the moment to investigate further... if that hose needs to be replaced... I'm going to take it to the dealer to fix under warranty.

I may as well put a pistol to my chest and enjoy a sucking chest wound after that

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

No sir they did not tell me. As I told you they let her cool down from my ride to the dealer and ran a pressure test on the system to locate the hole.

I was at the dealer a few days later while they had her apart and took a look in the OR while she was apart. It was quite frightful to see how disassembled she was to accomplish the fix. I went to church that evening and prayed my girl would pull through the operation. She did.

I think the pressure test is in your future, my dealer tried the simple clamp fix first as well.

Good luck.......I'll pray for your bike.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

I'm going back into the front of the radiator again this morning (pull off the center front cowl and right side radiator plastic panel) and try to see what's going on again with it. My fear is that the clamp has probably cut into the hose and the leak is still pronounced under pressure.

I do have some of the self adhering emergency Nitro Tape that I am thinking of temporarily applying to the area; where that clamp fastens on the hose. I may use that for now... Of course if the hose does have a leak, the best thing is to replace the hose and I sure would like to do that myself... though it would definitely involve removing the front fairing; in order to access the right side of the engine where that hose ties into the thermostat. And that's a job that I could do... but I think I should invoke my warranty coverage and have Honda warranty R&R the failed component and do the work.

I just have such a fear of the Honda service departments around here... from the way the bikes are mistreated/stored/cared for by the techs, the nonchalant attitudes of the service departments in general, and the flawed attempts I've experienced with attempted repairs; necessitating bring the bike back again to address them.

It is a huge logistical feat for me just to get the bike to and from the dealer as well.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

If your warranty is still good, let the dealer fix it, Will.
    Save yourself that anguish.

If they f something up, it's still on them.
    Try another dealer than the one you've been at odds with.

Don't try patching the hose; it won't hold unless you can cut and reattach down stream of the leak.

Does your insurance cover towing?
    There is a retired couple around here that own a MC towing company call EMR bike transport or some similar. Their rates are fair, great bike owning people who know how to transport bikes and care about customer service.

Before this economy, the dealer would likely pick it up and deliver back to you.

JMO
    Good luck
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

What the hell....

...it's NOT leaking now.

Went to another dealer this mid-morning and spoke with the service department, made an appointment to drop it off next Wednesday and they would look at it Thursday.

But coming back out to my bike and looking at the same spot I saw the coolant leaking before... it was no longer visible And I ran the bike HARD to the Stealership this morning.... they're about 15 miles away from me.

So... with guarded optimism I think that re-tightening the clamp a day ago HAS sealed the upper radiator hose on the left radiator. Maybe it was residual coolant still trapped in the protective covering of the hose... though I would have thought that it would have long dried up by now...

I'll continue to monitor it tomorrow and still hold my appointment with the Stealership until the very last day of cancelling it.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

As far as that being my fault!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Thanks! Still got to put her back together.... but that will be in a couple of days.

She will "rest in pieces" for a bit....

It's nice to have a place to work on it.
    I deny everything!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ...it's NOT leaking now.

But coming back out to my bike and looking at the same spot I saw the coolant leaking before... it was no longer visible And I ran the bike HARD to the Stealership this morning.... they're about 15 miles away from me.

So... with guarded optimism I think that re-tightening the clamp a day ago HAS sealed the upper radiator hose on the left radiator. Maybe it was residual coolant still trapped in the protective covering of the hose... though I would have thought that it would have long dried up by now...
    Take it in and ask for the compression test. Mine did the same. I would clean the spew and it would go days without a sign, then bloopers, there it was again. Clean it, no sign of leakage and then blop, again. Take it in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Take it in and ask for the compression test. Mine did the same. I would clean the spew and it would go days without a sign, then bloopers, there it was again. Clean it, no sign of leakage and then blop, again. Take it in.
    I hear ya Stro... I'm going to watch it for a couple of days though... if she vomits, it's off to the Stealership. Time is on my side at this point, I have over 5 years left on a 7 year warranty for this puppy now.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Very good. I let mine be ill for about two months. It would lose what looked like a tablespoon here and there. But when I was heading to AreKansas I had to be sure the hose wouldn't split while in the middle of somewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver