Rented an Indian Chieftain - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rented an Indian Chieftain

Cool

Great Post...I will have to go ride one!

Funny thing about daily mileage between folks. A good friend of mine is done...d o n e at about 250 miles. Me on the other hand am just warming up. Everyone is different. For those who have a little trouble adding to the miles, go buy some seamless underwear! Best money you will ever spend. Cycle gear has them ( Heat Out ) $20 on sale and L.D. Comfort has them for 3X's that price. Not a lot if difference if any...just a thought!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

That's good advice! I may have to take that idea. There's talk of a trip to Maine using U.S. Route 1 among riders at work 'round the water cooler....

As for the wide variation in mileage capability...

Perhaps we should all put a picture of our butts up here and compare them. Maybe there's something about the arse of a 500 mile can that is different that our lower-mileage hineys!

Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

The Indians have nice features. However, they still put out too much heat on the right side for me. I have never thought that about a motorcycle before and I have owned multiple bikes that others have complained about the heat and it didn't bother me like the Victories and a Honda ST1300. If they ever water cool the Indians I think they will have a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    The Indians have nice features. However, they still put out too much heat on the right side for me. I have never thought that about a motorcycle before and I have owned multiple bikes that others have complained about the heat and it didn't bother me like the Victories and a Honda ST1300. If they ever water cool the Indians I think they will have a great product.
    It did throw a lot of heat off the back cylinder. I read a review on Motorcycle Consumer News about the Roadmaster (basically the same bike) that said that heat was quite noticeable, but not intolerable. I would agree with that assessment. I was in Dallas-area traffic for the first 45 minute of my ride, and I really felt the heat on my hamstrings but it was just warm, not uncomfortable. Temps were in the mid to upper 70s. 80 F+...might be bad in stop-and-go traffic, though MCN tested it when temps were in the 90s. I rarely ride in traffic in my home territory, so heat management is not a Top Five issue for me.

Obviously, the F6B runs nice and cool with its brilliant dual-radiator design. My VStars both ran cool as well, despite being free-air cooled only (no oil cooler). I never felt hot, or even warm, in the handful of times I was in traffic with these bikes (I owned an 04 and 08). How the hell did Yamaha do that?!?

One more observation on the Indian:

I noticed the oil filter, a spin-on type, located in the lower front of the engine, behind the front tire and positioned slightly above a direct line to the bottom of the fender/skirt. The Indian is dressed up pretty well with generous fenders, but still, this thin-metal filter being exposed like that...ugh...I dunno, seems like that has the slim potential to not end well.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

One more observation on the Indian:

I noticed the oil filter, a spin-on type, located in the lower front of the engine, behind the front tire and positioned slightly above a direct line to the bottom of the fender/skirt. The Indian is dressed up pretty well with generous fenders, but still, this thin-metal filter being exposed like that...ugh...I dunno, seems like that has the slim potential to not end well.
    My past DL650 had the same oil filter orientation - exposed. Not sure why they design them like that.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.....

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    My past DL650 had the same oil filter orientation - exposed. Not sure why they design them like that.
    "They" probably do it that way so "they" don't have to listen to all the bitchin from owners about how hard it is to change their oil and filter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    "They" probably do it that way so "they" don't have to listen to all the bitchin from owners about how hard it is to change their oil and filter!!
    Oh yea? I think not! Ever try to change out the shims for a valve adjustment on a DL650?

Again, a sucking chest wound would be more enjoyable than that feat.

I am digressing here but....

...one of the main reasons I had bought a Victory Vision in the past, is because it never needed valve adjustments. But other things kept going "tits up" on it... negated any advantage of owning a bike that didn't require valve adjustments.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I've ridden the Chieftain a couple times now and I agree, it's a great bike. The only gripe I had was the design/look of the instrument panel...very cheap looking. Thankfully, Polaris listened to their customers and redesigned it. Much better, the best looking IMO. I don't hang on to bikes very long, only a couple years. The Roadmaster is top of my list for 2018.

Polaris has to work hard not to make things look cheap/flimsy.

Some flimsiness and lack of attention to detail and precision is what shifted me from the Vic CC Tour to the Honda.

One of my sleds is an older Polaris (2001) and I see a lot of cheapness in certain parts / build quality on that model too.

I actually like 2014-15 instrument panel more than the new one with the touchscreen. Gauges on my rental looked a little chintzy but I prefer the older style setup. Looks more balanced.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Indian and Victory are a well made solid machine. I never noticed much corner cutting except for the "hang on the bar" cruise control. They could have done better there. All of the chrome and plastic/fiberglass work is top notch. Some of the paint on the Victory drew a lot of conversation as the clear coat would scuff very easy.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]