Bestem cheapo top box
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bestem cheapo top box

Bestem cheapo top box

Had this Bestem box sitting around that I bought a few years ago for a scooter. Finally put it on something.
    Got some 8mm x 1.25 short pieces of metric all thread, nuts, washers and put em here.

Took some black rubber hose cut it to length, slit it long ways and put em here

Made an improvised adapter out of some 3/8th" plywood and plasti dip sprayed it

Used some 1/4 x 20 bolts, nuts, and washers to attach Bestem quick release plate

Front view

Rear view

Rear view,. Antenna does touch box and bend but just a tad

It's an older 969.with brake but no running lights as lower strip is just a reflector. You can get one with all the lighty lights on eBay for less the a buck. I will probably replace the plywood with a piece of aluminum plate. And the rest of that can of plasti dip.

Looking forward to seeing your final product. With your mounting idea you don't need a luggage rack after all (I put my trunk on flat, thin, black metal rack).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Awesome

This is the most affordable option I have seen for a box. Does anyone have a suggestion for relocating the antenna, or a stubby that won't be deflected by the box.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Nice job! Similar trunk to mine.

Btw, if you like to have a tinted lenses look on a trunk this is what I did and yours should be the same: behind the red lenses is a white plastic film. Remove the red lenses from inside (mine had small screws holding the red strips) and pull out the white film. Presto! Red lenses are still red but now match the tail light.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    This is the most affordable option I have seen for a box. Does anyone have a suggestion for relocating the antenna, or a stubby that won't be deflected by the box.
    There is a big circle in the middle of the top of the lid about the size of a dime. It is a plug from the injection molding process. I am thinking I can buy an antenna to mount on that spot, drill a hole and buy a piece of threaded coax to screw in place of the original. Might even just unscrew the original and move it. Haven't looked at how it comes out yet though.

Nice work on the install.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Nice job but loose the ply as that is just not strong enough, aluminum would be better but still not my choice as aluminum cracks with vibration. Use steel plate 1/8 or 3/16 just my opinion. When I install my trunk I just remove the antenna and cap it, hard to see in these pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Wing, what box is that?

Mike

Cool

NAHD = some very nice work !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com